Author Topic: Single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) references  (Read 739 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) references
« on: Monday 21 October 19 16:07 BST (UK) »
A first half-cousin asked me to tell him the values of rs1799945 and rs1800562 from my raw DNA data.  I don't have either of those in my data, out of 720,000 SNPs analysed.  My data was analysed by MyHeritage, and his by Ancestry.  Does this just indicate a slight difference in the analysis procedures between the two companies?

These SNPs are connected with haemochromatosis, a disorder where too much iron builds up in your body.

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) references
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 19 16:19 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you will have to pay for Ancestry’s future health offering to get that kind of detail   :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Craclyn, I expected a reply from you, but I was hoping for something much longer!!

Martin

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 October 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry Martin, Can’t help you on that one. I am more interested in using DNA for genealogy than health results, so I have never bothered to read much about that side of things  :)
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 October 19 20:10 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in any information also as eldest child has inherited haemochromatosis from both her parents even though we haven't found any other indication of it in either background.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 October 19 22:31 BST (UK) »
Different companies test different SNPs.  From what I can see from uploads to Promethease the earlier FtDNA test didn't include these SNPs. 

I know from a genetic test done by a medical laboratory that I do not have the known haemochromatosis genes, but I sometimes I feel as if I'm hitting my head against a brick wall in trying to encourage my siblings to test.  A check of ferritin levels would suffice.

Siblings of both of our parents must have been carriers as we have both maternal and paternal first cousins with this condition.  What I find even more bizarre is that when the cousins were diagnosed their siblings were encouraged to test, but there was no mention of telling aunts, uncles and first cousins.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 11:14 BST (UK) »
Haemachromatosis, known as a celtic gene/ disease here in central Scotland, is amazingly common here.  I assume, similarly in Ireland, Wales & other places the celtic diaspora reached.   However, I had hardly heard of it, until, in the last 10 years, me and my cousins got talking, as you do, at a family funeral.  My dad's family had 9 siblings, of which only 2 are still alive.  My aunt who is about 7 years younger than Dad (he's 93), who it transpired later has the disease, and her 2 daughters ( her only children) are both carriers.  I was tested for ferritin, which seems ok ( high normal), and my Dad at 93 I assume does not have the disease. I suppose I  could be a carrier.  I assume that my 2 sisters were also tested.  They could be carriers I suppose, but I dont believe they have the disease (ferritin test).  You dont usually get the genetic test here unless done privately, unless the ferritin is not normal.  However another set of cousins a family of 4, are 2 with the full blown disease and the other 2 are carriers.  As this is a recessive gene it means the defect must have been in both sides at that marriage.

My dad's siblings seemed to be 'blessed' with either poor health ( 5 had very serious cardiac problems that to different extents blighted their lives), while the others were very well, living beyond their 3 score years and 10, and I do wonder if this little known disease might have had something to do with it!

Another reason one of my sisters might not have had the gene test would be that her husbands family  has the gene, and her husband has the disease, so their children are already exposed to the likelihood of being carriers.

Yep, it is that common here! It may be especially common here because up until my generation, while I find very few cases of dangerous marriages between near relatives, it is true that my forebearers maried within the community, from those of Irish Catholic origins, similar to themselves.  I'm sure the same goes to the other parts of the UK & beyond where the Irish went to over the years!

Anyway, that's why I am personallly interested in this topic, and will keep reading , writing & listening on this topic!

PS - one reason we may not have encountered this disease much untill current times was that it could be mis-diagnosed as something else, or simply be undiagnosed. Of course, people tended to die much more often, earlier, of other unrelated diseases ( tb for example), till recently, so this disease which often manifests itself with maturity, lets put it, might well not have been seen very often!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 11:27 BST (UK) »
I recently had a lot of blood tests and they showed, amongst other things, that I have high ferritin levels and they are going to monitor it rather than intervene. My grand niece also has high levels.  Both of us were tested for other issues and the ferritin levels were discovered by accident.

I have Welsh, Scottish and Irish ancestry and she has this and extra Scottish and Irish ancestry from other lines.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 11:46 BST (UK) »
I've never heard of it until 3 years ago when an unknown first half cousin tracked me down. His father suffers from it and my cousin was very keen that I should be tested. On several occasions I have tried explaining this to to the doctor and I am just told that because my iron levels are not unduly high there is no reason for me to be tested. I don't have any of the symptoms, but a test would put my mind at rest.

I have vague memories of my mother taking some sort of iron supplement for iron deficiency.

Martin