Author Topic: Wife of George Partridge who died 1847  (Read 1169 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wife of George Partridge who died 1847
« on: Monday 21 October 19 17:06 BST (UK) »
Looking for what became of the wife/widow of George Partridge....

George Partridge died of Typhus Fever on 21st March 1847 at Pavenham, Beds aged 21 years. He was son of Samuel Partridge, Baliff of Pavenham in 1841 & farmer of Sharnbrook in 1851. The informant on the death certificate was a nurse, present at death.       

His death reported in the Beds Mercury of 3rd April 1847 said "much lamented by his young widow" which prompted me to search for his marriage. I found this to be at Carlton Baptist Meeting on 6th August 1846 to Anna Emery, daughter of John Emery, Grocer. Both parties were minors on this marriage certificate & Anna was living in Harrold.

The 1841 census has John Emery, grocer age 52 & wife Deborah age 45 living at Eaton Socon with children including daughter Ann age 15.

I have not found a death or burial of Ann/a Partridge soon after this - in case she too caught typhus - nor found her on 1851 census or later. However there is a marriage index in Sept 1853 of Ann Partridge in Bedford District to either William Harriss or Joseph Willis (the other female is Sarah Bettles). This marriage is not in Steve Gibbs's database so assuming it is similarly a baptist or registry office marriage. I cannot find on 1861 census, either a William Harriss or Joseph Willis, with a wife named Ann or Sarah.

Any help appreciated
Cheers John       
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wife of George Partridge who died 1847
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
If she did marry in 1853 any children would have mmn Emery.  Have you tried searching GRO online for Harris & Willis births with mmn Emery then checking them against 1861 census entries
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 19 22:38 BST (UK) »
I think the 1853 marriage is of John Harriss to Ann Partridge. They are (probably) at Wootton in 1861 as Harris. Sarah Bettles married Joseph Willis who died, then remarried George Summerlin in 1859. They are at Harrold in 1861. None of which helps you with Anna Partridge. Have you checked for Hannah Partridge? I consider Anna and Hannah to be the same name.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 06:18 BST (UK) »
I think you may well be right Steven and Ann Partridge married William Harriss (I think John was a typo) in 1853.   

This is the 1861 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7TW-9H6 with Ann listed as born in Ampthill, Bedfordshire  and I think this is William in 1851 with previous wife Martha https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGCW-W6W.   

There is a death of a Martha Harris age  60 in the June Qtr 1853 Bedford.    And this looks like this Ann Partridge pre marriage in 1851 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGCH-XX4

Kay

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John

There is the death of Anne Partridge in St Neots reg district in 1850. Her age on GRO states 23. Perhaps went back to parents in Eaton Socon.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
There is the death of Anne Partridge in St Neots reg district in 1850. Perhaps went back to parents in Eaton Socon.

Spot on. Death announcement in the Bedfordshire Mercury, 2 February 1850.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tazzie & Jonw....  I had scanned the newspaper archives on FindMyPast but with no instant results, should have persevered! ; looking at the image seems name Partridge is wrong. However thanks again, odd that death index has her as Anne age 23 while the on newspaper she is Anna age 21. On the 1851 census parents John & Deborah Emery are in Eaton Socon, grocer & draper. 

I've not found a burial for her ... she is not in the burial records for St.Marys Eaton Socon nor was she buried next to husband George in Pavenham.

Regards John   

Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching GRO online for Harris & Willis births with mmn Emery then checking them against 1861 census entries

Hello Carole, Yes I tried this but found no children's births registered for Partridge, Harris/s & Willis with mother's name of Emery or even Partridge 
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
....  Sarah Bettles married Joseph Willis who died, then remarried George Summerlin in 1859. They are at Harrold in 1861....

Thanks for response Steven, I had found a burial of Joseph Willis at Milton Ernest, being late of Harrold, on 8 April 1855 age 31. I hadn't followed up for a possible future marriage of wife Sarah. It's interesting that George & Sarah Summerlin/g in 1861 living in Harrold have a 11 months old daughter Elizabeth. As per the GRO birth index in June 1860 the mother's 'maiden' name is Willis rather than Bettles. 

Regards John 
Clement - Croydon