Author Topic: Llanelly History Help  (Read 1500 times)

Offline scottphillips94

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llanelly History Help
« on: Tuesday 22 October 19 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys, recently started my family tree and currently have over 200 ancestors confimed.

I'm really struggling on my paternal side, I can get to my 2nd great grandfather who I also have information for his brother and mother, however I cant find any record for his father.

I have his birth certificate and that says father unknown, however I wonder if anyone could help me search through parish records or baptismal records to see if anyone was named on the certificates there as I would really like to explore that side further

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Llanelly History Help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 17:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

If he was illegitimate it’s unlikely any fathers name will be on a baptismal record (if one can be found)

Did he name a father on his marriage cert?  Sometimes illegitimate children met their biological fathers later in life but it’s rare. If his marriage cert shows a father with the same surname then he has made one up.  Quite a common practice with illegitimate children so they appeared “respectable”

What was his name and birthdate and what was his mothers name etc from the birth cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 October 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
If you are after parish records do you mean the parish with the modern spelling of Llanelly near Abergavenny? Documentation from before the mid 1960s will also use this spelling for Llanelli near Swansea.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline scottphillips94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
thanks for your reply's

I don't have access to full membership on my ancestry.com account to view any documents really however I do have the information I can provide if someone is willing to help me research.

The person/s in question.....
''John Phillips'' (1861-1945) Llanelly - married Sarah Jane Bowen (1865-1937)
Brother = ''David Phillips'' D.O.B 1865- unknown death
Mother = Mary Phillips D.O.B 1830 Llanelly (Mary had a brother William Phillips D.O.B 1828

now we cant find a father/husband for Mary however we know her two sons john and david and also her brother, i'm wondering if someone can help me locate the missing husband of mary/father of john and david as that's my paternal line stopped there if we cant locate him.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
I thinl Chilternbirder is right. It would cut down on the research if you could state which Llanelly. The Abergavenny one is in Monmouthshire, the other one is in Carmarthenshire.

Offline scottphillips94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 12:32 BST (UK) »
its the Carmarthenshire Llanelly, that's where I currently reside and most of my family have for years and it does say for John that he is from Llanelly,

where would be best to look to find a possible father ? Where could I find a birth certificate for him ?

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
Have you got a library ticket ? Carmarthenshire libraries have Ancestry and FindmyPast on their computers - free to use for upto 1 hour. I usually wait ( I live in Carmarthenshire ) for a few mintues and then log in again for a bit of extra time !

There seems to be quite a lot of Sarah Jane Bowens on Family Search, plus some John Phillips, just at the moment I haven`t time to follow it up for you.

Offline scottphillips94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
I have access to Ancestry and Find My Past but don’t have a full account so unable to view the census or registration documents etc

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
As mentioned on your other post you can find census and BMD info for free on Family Search.  You may also be able to find some baptismal records as well.

However - it is unlikely you will find a fathers name on any possible baptismal record.  If his marriage cert does not show a fathers name then that's it

Ancestry access is free at many libraries - check with your local one
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)