Author Topic: Legerwood Cemetery  (Read 2131 times)

Online JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Legerwood Cemetery
« on: Sunday 27 October 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise me where to find the names of the people buried at the Legerwood Cemetery during the mid 1800’s. I know that the headstones have been recorded but the family that I am looking for is not on this database.

Many thanks, June

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Legerwood Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 October 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Borders Family History Society offers a transcription of the burial records of Legerwood and Earlston 1784-1854 for GBP 4.35. It weighs 160gms so postage to New Zealand would be GBP 6.50.
Regards,
Lesley
NB I do not own this publication and have no connection with the Society.
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 December 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
what family name are you looking for

Online JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 December 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Adam Halliday in particular., born 1818. Have found his name spelt Holliday as well in official records. His Mother Marrion (May) Robertson is in the Gordon Cemetery records and I believe it could be his father George in the Parish of Cranston, they lived at Greenknowe prior to May’s death.

A very kind lady from the Borders Society has looked in their records and cannot see Adam detailed :(
He was born in Haddingtonshire, Pentcaitland and appears to have lived at Masterson Mains in the 1841 census and Bathgate in the 1851 census. If it is the same person then his occupation changed from Ag Lab to Carter.

Family lore has him being kicked by a horse at an Agricultural Show and expiring however we are also considering any other scenario such as leaving the area. His wife Margaret Stephenson appears to have spent much of her life in care. Their son William emigrated to Tasmania and then New Zealand, he brought his three sisters, Margaret, Marion and Agnes to NZ in 1864. The children’s birthdates span 1839 to 1849 (maybe to 1852) although we cannot find the official record for Agnes who was said to have been born around the time of her fathers demise.

A little bad behaviour would have been helpful to put them into official records!

Regards, June

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 December 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Had a look at legerwood no stone but remember not every burial has a stone try the burial dept at SBC for lair check

Online JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 December 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance Terianne.  Is SBC the Scottish Borders Family History group?

Online JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Scottish Borders Council - thank you. I will send a message to them requesting assistance.
Regards, June

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
JUNE I RECHECKED THERE ARE NO HALLIDAYS IN LEGERWOOD, ONLY 1 IN EARLSTON BUT 20 IN LAUDER.
THE ONLY REF. TO AN ADAM IS THE FOLLOWING IN LAUDER =ERECTED BY ADAM HALLIDAY IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAMES HALLIDAY HIS FATHER WHO DIED AT WEST MAINS LAUDER 21-4-1892 AGED 89 ALSO HIS WIFE ANNIE MEIN WHO DIED AT WEST MAINS 17-2-1900 AGED 73YRS ROBERT HIS SON WHO DIED IN INFANCY AND THEIR DAUGHTER MARION WHO DIED IN EDINBURGH 17-5-1938 AGED 79YRS
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 May 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Adam Halliday in particular., born 1818. Have found his name spelt Holliday as well in official records. His Mother Marrion (May) Robertson is in the Gordon Cemetery records and I believe it could be his father George in the Parish of Cranston, they lived at Greenknowe prior to May’s death.

A very kind lady from the Borders Society has looked in their records and cannot see Adam detailed :(
He was born in Haddingtonshire, Pentcaitland and appears to have lived at Masterson Mains in the 1841 census and Bathgate in the 1851 census. If it is the same person then his occupation changed from Ag Lab to Carter.

Family lore has him being kicked by a horse at an Agricultural Show and expiring however we are also considering any other scenario such as leaving the area. His wife Margaret Stephenson appears to have spent much of her life in care. Their son William emigrated to Tasmania and then New Zealand, he brought his three sisters, Margaret, Marion and Agnes to NZ in 1864. The children’s birthdates span 1839 to 1849 (maybe to 1852) although we cannot find the official record for Agnes who was said to have been born around the time of her fathers demise.

A little bad behaviour would have been helpful to put them into official records!

Regards, June
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders