Author Topic: Looking for a family on the 1911 census  (Read 2021 times)

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a family on the 1911 census
« on: Monday 04 November 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Isbister b 1856 Walls Clementina Isbister b 1859 Fetlar (nee Linklater Tulloch) and Margaret Isbister b 1897 Fetlar

In the 1901 census they were living in Albany Street Lerwick. I have been unable to find them in 1911. I know all 3 were still alive. William was a seaman in the Merchant service so I am wondering if they were abroad at this time.

Margaret did moved south into England and married in Paddington London in 1919.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a family on the 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 November 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Have you located Margaret (Rowlett) in 1939 register.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »

I have that information, she married James Rowlett. She just seems to have disappeared in 1911. I did find a Margaret Isbister in Vancouver on the Canadian census, right age right birth place but unfortunately I haven't got access to worldwide records so I am unable to see who she is with.

I can't find her on scotlands people either.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:05 GMT (UK) »

I have that information, she married James Rowlett. She just seems to have disappeared in 1911. I did find a Margaret Isbister in Vancouver on the Canadian census, right age right birth place but unfortunately I haven't got access to worldwide records so I am unable to see who she is with.
You don't need to pay for worldwide access on some commercial web site to look at the Canadian census. It's available free at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you're aware that the 1911 Scotland census is only available on ScotlandsPeople ?

Try looking under Isbester - I don't have credits so I can't look at the detailed results but I can see Clementina and William , and probably Margaret , in the index in Lerwick.

Edit - my apologies , I see you mentioned ScotlandsPeople - I'm full of cold at the moment and a bit foggy headed. ;D
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you're aware that the 1911 Scotland census is only available on ScotlandsPeople ?

Try looking under Isbester - I don't have credits so I can't look at the detailed results but I can see Clementina and William , and probably Margaret , in the index in Lerwick.

Edit - my apologies , I see you mentioned ScotlandsPeople - I'm full of cold at the moment and a bit foggy headed. ;D

Thank you I will try on there again, hope you feel better soon.x

Offline cmjs00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I have spare credits, here is a jpeg of the census page in question

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 November 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Searching on SP, it's always a good idea to use wildcards. Don't search for Isbister or Isbester - go for *s*b*s*t*r, which should pick up any spelling variations.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 November 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »

You don't need to pay for worldwide access on some commercial web site to look at the Canadian census. It's available free at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

Thank you.