Author Topic: Help finding out more about David John James b.1899  (Read 538 times)

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help finding out more about David John James b.1899
« on: Wednesday 06 November 19 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I’m researching my husband’s great-great grandmother, Mary James and recently discovered she married a John Davies in Llanelly and was with him and his family on the 1911 census.
I got John’s will today and in it, he refers to his step-son David John James.  On the 1911 census, he was 12 and had the surname Davies but we all know how that happens.
So my challenge now is to find his birth and where he was in 1901, 1939, his death and possible marriage and children.  Many heads are better than one (and mine is sore with a cold today) so I’d appreciate any leads or assistance.
Thank you!
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding out more about David John James b.1899
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 06:17 GMT (UK) »
I’m thinking it might be the birth registered in LLandilofawr in 1898, which means I can find his death date in 1972 and him also on the 1939 register.  It says he was married in 1939, but I can’t work to whom as he wasn’t with his wife on the register.  Any help with that and his 1901 whereabouts would be good.  I’ve ordered the likely birth certificate.
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Online BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
It seems from the age on the 1911 census that you are going with the right one. There are a couple of births in Llanelly itself, but in 1900 so I assume ( wrong thing to do I know ) that you have discounted these as being too young.

The only thing is that Google says that Llandilofawr is north of Carmarthen,  and Llanelli is to the south east. Do you know why Mary was there ?

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Billy.  The 1911 census says he was born in LLansawel and Mary was also born there and her siblings lived there too.  So that’s why...  how she ended up in Llanelly, I don’t know. She had been working as a servant and is in Llandingat as a servant in 1901 but who knows where baby is.
John Davies first wife died in 1903, so I’m assuming she might have come as a servant to help and married him - but again that’s a big assumption.
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Online BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 November 19 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Again Llandingat is in the same area as their birthplace.

What a lot of marriages there are between Mary James and John Davies in both areas !

The same for David`s marriage. I`ve looked at them all between 1914 and 1939.

I wonder if David was with one of Mary`s siblings in 1901.