Author Topic: Tom Grainger 1888-1931 England/Australia  (Read 416 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tom Grainger 1888-1931 England/Australia
« on: Thursday 07 November 19 06:22 GMT (UK) »
The man on the right in the attached photo is, I believe, Tom Grainger 1888-1931. He was born in Stanningley, West Yorkshire, migrated to Sydney, Australia, in 1909 and enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force on 19 April 1918 during the First World War.

I am trying to work out who the other man might be, on the left. Tom Grainger had a brother George Grainger 1895-1916 who also served in the AIF and died in France on 17 August 1916. I was wondering whether it could be him, but he was dead before his brother enlisted so maybe not?

Does anyone know what the uniform of the man on the left signifies? Perhaps this might help me narrow it down.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Grainger 1888-1931 England/Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 19 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi...I have requested that your post be moved to the Armed Forces Board for a more informed response.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 November 19 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - EDITboth the soldiers in the photo have stripes on their sleeves indicating promotions. The service record for George Grainger shows his rank as Private, so he cannot be the soldier on the left.
Service record here - http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/4669000/1

I can't see any promotions for Tom Grainger either, which could put doubts on this photo being of Tom. Service record here - http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/4671023/1

It would be good if others could check to confirm though, as these records can be difficult to interpret.

M

ADD - Apologies, the stripes on the lower sleeve are 'Overseas Service Chevrons', one for each year.

So maybe this is Tom and another relative?

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 November 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I think the uniform on the left is Royal Artillery.

M

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 November 19 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol, yes that's a better idea.

Thanks M, very much appreciated. I didn't know that about the stripes, and it would make sense that Tom would have one (joining in 1918) while other soldiers would have more. Yes I think you are right, both Tom and George were privates.

Thank you too for the hint about the Royal Artillery - I've just done a google search for that uniform and you are right - they look very similar. I think that answers my query.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 November 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the soldier on the left is not AIF as he does not have rising sun insignia on cap or shirt collar.
Since he was born England, its a probability that the soldier on the left, if he is RA, could be closely related or friend.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 November 19 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that confirmation Shume.