Author Topic: Looking for Obituary or Other Records for Ann LAWRENCE: Washington D.C. 1847  (Read 743 times)

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Obituary or Other Records for Ann LAWRENCE: Washington D.C. 1847
« on: Thursday 07 November 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for a death record and obit for ANN LAWRENCE. She died April 20, 1847 in Washington D.C. Burial was in the Rock Creek Cemetery. According to the headstone (Seen on FIND A GRAVE) there is a JANE FRANCIS LAWRENCE buried with her. She died in 1811 and that is all I know. Buried with them is RICHARD LAWRENCE the failed assassin who tried to shoot President Andrew Jackson in 1835. (He died June 1861) I don't know how or if these folks are related. Would like to find out. We know Richard was born in England in 1808 (or thereabout)  ???
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Obituary or Other Records for Ann LAWRENCE: Washington D.C. 1847
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 November 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
There's a lengthy report here of an interview with Richard Lawrence while he was in jail after the attempted assassination.  It sheds no light on his family except to say that he was born in England, came to the United States when he was about 12 or 13 years old, and that his father had died in Washington, D.C. about 6 to 8 years earlier [about 1827 to 1829].

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ole/

I haven't found an obituary for any of them.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Obituary or Other Records for Ann LAWRENCE: Washington D.C. 1847
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 November 19 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the message. Yes, I've found a lot of those interviews and none of them mention parents names or actual place of origin other than England. I've been searching on ancestry.com and Familysearch.org. I found where Elizabeth married Samuel Redfern in 1827 and Eliza married Joseph Cuvillier in 1832.  Charles Laskey said that his uncle was Richard Lawrence's father but no actual names given. I found a Charles Lawrence Laskey and tend to think this is the right family. I'll keep digging and if I find anything I'll post it. Cheers!
Campbell, Staines, Smith, Wolfean, Wilson, Donley, Dearnally, Blair, Comstock, Corman, Stines, Fiesel, Tschiedel, Becker, Gute, Merritt, Lawrence, Stevenson, McSparran, McCullum, Walker, Hamilton, Boulmay, Clegg,Atell, Patterson, Zogott, Getts, Harrison,

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 November 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the cemetery to see if they have any information?

https://www.stpaulsrockcreek.org/cemetery/

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 November 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I see that the Library of Congress has in its rare book collection an account of the trial of Richard Lawrence published in 1835.  Maybe a librarian would be willing to consult it to see if any members of his family were identified, perhaps as witnesses to his mental condition.

https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2018/12/rare-book-video-the-trial-of-richard-lawrence-for-his-assassination-attempt-on-president-andrew-jackson/

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 November 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I have a copy of the trial. Also have copies of the NILES REGISTER and period newspapers. Lawrence's father is never mentioned by name. He did say that his father drove a coal cart in England but that doesn't reveal much without a location. Ann may have been Richard's mother or maybe a cousin (???) and Jane Francis is another mystery. I'll ask Rock Creek Cemetery and see if they will reveal who owned the lot, etc. That might be protected information and me not being family might be another road block.

Offline Peter Stines

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 November 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I see that the Library of Congress has in its rare book collection an account of the trial of Richard Lawrence published in 1835.  Maybe a librarian would be willing to consult it to see if any members of his family were identified, perhaps as witnesses to his mental condition.

https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2018/12/rare-book-video-the-trial-of-richard-lawrence-for-his-assassination-attempt-on-president-andrew-jackson/

Wikipedia has updated their info on Lawrence. They claim he was born in Lancashire and that they settled in Virginia near D.C. No source given, but anyone can post anything on that sight. Maybe Ann, et al can be found in Va. ????