Author Topic: Robert Duncanson, Doune  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Robert Duncanson, Doune
« on: Sunday 10 November 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=821300 for previous discussion.

Does anyone know anything about Robert Duncanson, Doune?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Duncanson, Doune
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 November 19 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you come across these details, Forfarian? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3GP7-WV5

Any details so far on how potential father, Robert, connects to Doune?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 November 19 21:15 GMT (UK) »
The above FS link includes:

Stirling Observer, 10 Apr 1862:
DUNCANSON - Drowned, off Milford Haven, at the wreck of the screw steamer Mars, on her passage from  Waterford to Bristol, on Tuesday night 1st April, Mr. Peter Duncanson, chief engineer on board, and only son of the later Peter Duncanson, Doune.

Showing as son of a Peter not Robert. A mistake on the reporting?

The notes on the FS Pedigree file also include:

In 1841 Grace Duncanson (40 Scotland) was a widow in Deanston, Kilmadock, Perth with children, Peter, Grace, and Agnes, and 2 others. In 1851 she was a housekeeper in Deanston with daughters Grace and Agnes, and a boarder. In 1861, 1871, and 1881 she lived there with daughter Agnes.

Peter and Grace's christenings/births showing on SP in Kilmadock.

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 November 19 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica. Yes, I have now seen all of these, having come to the same conclusions independently before doing so.

I also checked the original of the Stirling Observer (taking my own advice and not believing what I find online!) and it does in fact say he is the only son of Robert Duncanson, Doune.

Interestingly, Peter's youngest son Henry Macintosh Duncanson lived most of his life in Paris, where he married and had two daughters, the younger one born in 1906. During the first world war he sent them to Deanston, Doune, in the parish of Kilmadock, for safety. So he must have sent them to stay with cousins. I just wish I could work out who the cousins were, as there were neither Duncansons nor McIntoshes there in the 1911 census, apart from Miss Agnes Duncanson, who died aged 89 in 1916, so even if they had been sent to her (their great-aunt), whom did they live with after her death?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 November 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the term 'cousin' was used in general to cover more extended family? Assuming this line is correct for Peter, maybe family connected to sisters Grace and Agnes?

Do you know what happened with Henry following his mother's remarriage? Was he looked after by family or did he stay with his mother's new family?

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 November 19 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Henry was with his mother and her new husband in 1871. I have not found him in 1881, and I assume that he was in Paris by 1891.

The item about Henry sending his daughters out of Paris for safety just says they were sent to Deanston, not mentioning the words 'cousins' or 'relatives'.

His sister Agnes did not marry, and died in Deanston in 1916. His sister Grace married John McIntosh in 1853. They had no children, but in 1871 a nephew Peter Duncanson, aged 12, born Ireland, was living with them. I can't find this Peter in any later census*, and I have found John and Grace in 1881 but not later, and I cannot find her death.

*There is a Peter Duncanson of the same age in Glasgow, but his birthplace is consistently given as Kincardine, not Ireland, though some of the census transcribers are unclear which Kincardine is meant!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 November 19 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Could this 1910 shipping manifest to New York for a Peter Duncanson be for the one you mention, married and living in Paris. Birth year would fit.

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9T3-5S13-N?i=215&cc=1368704&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AJJD4-QPX

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 November 19 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica, I suppose he could have been staying in Paris with his brother Henry. But I wonder why, if he is the missing Peter, he says he is English? His parents, grandparents and great-grandparents were all born in Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 November 19 19:02 GMT (UK) »
This Peter states he is married and lives in Paris on the manifest. He gave his home address as 1 Rue le Peletier, Paris.

Cannot find anything further on him to help.

Monica