Author Topic: Hellens Manor  (Read 3872 times)

Offline davetur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hellens Manor
« on: Monday 11 November 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the military history of Hubert Ernest De Burgh born 1889. I have a record card for him showing his discharge from the Argyl and Sutherland highlanders regt. on 7/6/18. The card shows disabilities:GSH (orW?) Rt leg (amp) and an address of Hellens much markle nr Ledbury.
Does anyone have any experience of reading these cards? I presume that the Hubert had all or part of his right leg amputated, what does GSH mean? I presume that Hellens means Hellens manor which stands today, but may have been used as a hospital for army veterans. Does anyone know of any records on this establishment?
Hubert seems to have had two service postings as he is also listed as in the AVC, which I think is the Army Veterinary Corps. Would a soldier have normally transferred between posts?
Regards
Dave
Price
Gibson
Annetts
Burrill
Turton
Wray
Steer
Nash
Stafford
De Burgh
Todkill

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hellens Manor
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 November 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
It will be GSW - Gun Shot Wound (very wide term which included bullet and artillery shell fire wounds).

From medal records, he was a regular soldier, serving since 1906 in the Army Veterinary Corps when war broke out and went to France on 13 August 1914.  He was transferred to the Argylls on 4 April 1917.  Quite normal for men to be transferred elsewhere when another regiment was in need of additional men.  Almost all the men with Argyll numbers near to his were transfers from other regiments or battalions.

Only a representative sample of hospital records were retained and he doesn't appear in that small sample as far as I can determine.

Can't find a listing for Hellens Manor in hospitals but it may well have been a convalescent place.  You could ask them! https://hellensmanor.com/

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline davetur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hellens Manor
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 November 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi