Author Topic: Gardiner, Scamp and Ayres - Essex, Kent and Surrey England  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Mitche11

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gardiner, Scamp and Ayres - Essex, Kent and Surrey England
« on: Thursday 14 November 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall in researching my husbands family, here is the information I have so far:

Mary Ann Gardiner married Andrew Lowder 25 July 1885 Bexley, Kent - Father: William Henry Gardiner - Witnesses: Matilda Marshall, Jacob Marshall and Cinnaminta Gardiner.

Mary Ann and Andrew had children and on their birth certificates it has mother's maiden name Ayres.

I believe Cinnaminta's maiden name is Scamp and is William Henry Gardiner's wife but I do not believe she is Mary Ann Gardiner's mother.

William Henry Gardiner was born 1842 Prittlewell, Essex and is the son of Thomas Gardiner and Mary Ann ? I have found William Henry Gardiner on the 1871 Census living in Northfleet, Kent with son Leonard Gardiner and daughter Emily Gardiner but his daughter Mary Ann Gardiner does not appear on the Census, staying with William Henry Gardiner in 1871 is Samuel Ayres.

William Henry Gardiner and Cinnaminta Scamp married on the 18 Aug 1882 at Bexley, Kent. I believe that Mary Ann b. abt 1862, Emily b. abt 1865 and Leonard b. abt 1866 are children of William Henry Gardiner but not children of his wife Cinnaminta.

I cannot find birth or baptism records for Mary Ann, Emily or Leonard Gardiner which also makes me think they are not Cinnaminta's children.

I believe William Henry Gardiner had children with Ayres.

Please can anyone help?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Gardiner, Scamp and Ayres - Essex, Kent and Surrey England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 November 19 17:08 GMT (UK) »
1882 marriage cert -was Cinnaminta a widow or a spinster?  What was her fathers name?

Where and when was she born? 

What was William Henry’s marital status as you mention finding him in 1871 with children but don’t mention any wife

Where was Mary Ann in 1871 - you say she was b 1862 but don't say where?

Where and when were Leonard & Emily born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 November 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I see William was a widower in 1871

There are 2 Female Gardiner deaths in the North Aylesford RD - both in the Dec qtr 1870

Sarah Hannah aged 24 and Lydia 28.  Also an unnamed infant death in the same qtr may indicate a death following childbirth

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 November 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Full 1871 entry - spelling is Gardner on image and he is just William.  All b Northfleet Kent except William

William 29 widower - hawker - b Prittlewell Essex
Emily 6
Leonard 3
Samuel Ayres 18  visitor
RG10/895/108/37

Per 1861 entry Samuel Ayres was the son of David Ayres b 1809 Warwickshire & Sarah b 1826 Tonbridge

Offline Mitche11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 November 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
1882 marriage cert -was Cinnaminta a widow or a spinster?  What was her fathers name?

Cinnaminta was a spinster and her father's name was Riley Scamp.

Where and when was she born? 

Cinnaminta (Cuinnenta) was born 1847 in Dover, Kent. Mother's maiden name Lee.

What was William Henry’s marital status as you mention finding him in 1871 with children but don’t mention any wife

On the 1871 Census it looks like Wd next to William Henry Gardiner.

Where was Mary Ann in 1871 - you say she was b 1862 but don't say where?

I cannot find Mary Ann in 1871 nor in 1881 but on the 1891 Census she is living with Andrew Lowder at 84 Wilford Road, Croydon, Surrey, it states she was born in 1861 in Croydon, Surrey and on the 1901 Census she was born 1861 in Gorensend, Surrey and on the 1911 Census she was born in 1861 in Gravesend, Kent.

Where and when were Leonard & Emily born

I cannot find birth or baptism records for Leonard nor Emily but on the 1871 Census Emily was born 1865 in Northfleet, Kent and Leonard was born 1868 in Northfleet, Kent. On the 1881 Census Emily was born 1865 in Rainham, Kent and Leonard was born 1868 in Northfleet, Kent.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 November 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
If Mary Ann Lowder (Gardiner) was actually born as Ayres it would suggest that she was illegitimate and her mother married William Henry Gardiner/Gardner

BUT - I can’t find a William Gardner/Gardiner marriage to an Ayres which rather shoots down that theory

David Ayres is 52 in 1861 - married Sarah Richardson 1849 Malling when he would have been 40.  Wonder if he was previously married?  Could he have been Mary Ann’s grandfather??

Offline Mitche11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 November 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I have found a birth record for a Mary Ann Gardener that could be the Mary Ann I am searching for but I still cannot find anything for Leonard or Emily although I believe Leonard married Elizabeth Boswell.

GARDENER, MARY  ANN   AYERS
GRO Reference: 1862  D Quarter in NORTH AYLESFORD  Volume 02A  Page 311   

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 November 19 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Does seem very promising but if Mary Ann was born legitimately, I wonder why she used Ayres as her maiden name on her own childrens births but gave her father as William on her marriage cert?

Are you going to buy a copy of that birth cert?  PDF copies are £7

Offline Mitche11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 January 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Does seem very promising but if Mary Ann was born legitimately, I wonder why she used Ayres as her maiden name on her own childrens births but gave her father as William on her marriage cert?

Are you going to buy a copy of that birth cert?  PDF copies are £7

I have received a copy of the birth certificate and Mary Ann Gardener's father is William Henry Gardener and mother is Olive Gardener formerly Ayers, residence Manor Way, Northfleet, Kent.