Author Topic: Snowdon, Roscoe, Roberts, Welch  (Read 1399 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Snowdon, Roscoe, Roberts, Welch
« on: Sunday 17 November 19 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I try to avoid over-using Rootschat as I'm aware of (and very grateful for) the fact that it's run by volunteers. However, when I'm stuck (as I am now) it's invaluable.
I'm looking at a family who settled in the Isle of Man around the turn of the 19th/20th century, and I have 3 gaps that I can't fill.
1) Nellie Snowdon married Walter Edward Welch, and I found a reference to a marriage in Onchan of Walter Welch in 1927, but no precise date and no mention of the spouse.
2) Nellie's sister Dulcie (born 1908 in Wrexham) was married to Dewi Thomas Roberts in Wrexham  but I couldn't find any record of her after 1939. However, I did notice a marriage in Ramsey in 1952 of a Dulcie Roberts and as it's a fairly distinctive name, wondered whether this was her. But I can't find any more info other than the name, nor her spouse.
3) Florence Roscoe was aged less than 1 month in the 1911 census but I can't find the exact birth date (parents Lawrence and Florence nee Leese), nor any subsequent indication of her family until the death of her parents in 1931 and 1933 in Douglas. So what happened to Florence (junior) and did she have any siblings?

I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Snowdon, Roscoe, Roberts, Welch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 November 19 12:26 GMT (UK) »
If this is the entry you found on F M P then that database only seems to have entries for Males
Walter Edward Welch
Marriage year   1927
Denomination   Anglican
Residence   Wrexham N Wales
Place   Onchan, Isle of Man
163/34
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 November 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
buy a subscription to IoM papers www.imuseum.im and see if any BMD info
- other info needs payment to IoM General registry for certificates (see www.gov.im)
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 November 19 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm afraid that I was looking for free advice and information as I decided a long time ago that I could not afford to pay for certificates, etc., for people who are not immediately close relatives. And although these people are interesting, they are quite distant from me.
There is a good amount of information available for the UK, USA and other similar countries, so it's a bit disappointing that the Isle of Man seems to be so much less open. Is that a reasonable conclusion or are there sources that I haven't found yet?

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 November 19 08:03 GMT (UK) »
the access to newspapers is free at libraries on the Island including the main repository of documents at Manx Museum - some Manx papers are accessible via the British Library.
Otherwise all your sought data seems to fall within the 100 year rule.  Findmypast + ancestry are not free either.

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 November 19 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Frances_mnb but actually a decent amount of information is available from Ancestry and Findmypast via my membership of the local library. However, there seems to be less entered on to their databases from the IoM.
For instance, it seems distinctly odd that marriages are entered with only the name of one partner.
A friend suggested it might be something to do with the status of tax haven - but conspiracy theories usually fail!

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 November 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
nothing to do with offshore finance (that did not start until 1980s) - there is a huge amount of Manx info on both their sites but not post 1911 as they only had access to those records held at the Manx Museum (try searching on www.imuseum.im) post 1911 material is held either at Manx PRO (recall that IoM is not part of the UK) or current material at the various registries - both these apply the 100 year rule - the marriage info is probably gleaned from the www.manxbmd.com site which is based on the available public indices which give very little other than sufficient info to locate and purchase a certificate (the Government needs to cover its costs)
Maybe a short holiday on the Island would help in research ?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 November 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
First, the good news ;D
Nellie Snowden married Walter Welch on 27th June 1927

That info I managed to obtain through good luck, my charm(?!) and a friendly registrar :D

Further info will have to be paid for, however.
Full certificate £11.
Photocopy of a certificate £5.50.

To search a particular Civil Register (i.e year and Birth, Marriage or Death) will cost a visitor to the Civil Registry £5.
So, I can look for you, but you would need to pay me the £5.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)