Author Topic: Court Papers  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court Papers
« on: Tuesday 26 November 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a old document which I am certain must be one of my ancestors but its so badly worn I can't make it all out, the heading says Justice's Minute Book , down the side it says 58 which is the minute book number then date of hearing which is 1930 then its too faded but the next column says Ballygreaney Gurteen , I can also read evidence heard at Court on 12 nov, Substance of Complaint Breaking Entering Chil  charged ,  My dad was born in 1918 at  Ballygreaney Ballymacward so it must be him or someone related.  Is there any way of finding out who the person was and what happened to them? and would the documents be on line .

I was thinking of sending a scan but you can't even read the heading once it's scanned.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Court Papers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
My dad was born in 1918 at  Ballygreaney Ballymacward so it must be him or someone related.

If the entry is dated 1930 he would only be 12yrs old at that time.    If you can't read any name on the entry how have you established it's one of your ancestors?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
It was with my late sisters family tree docs so Im guessing with it being Ballgreany townland it would be some connection to us as my dad was born there, just trying to find out with the limited info is there any sites that hold court documents where I could explore. Sorry I did not say Ballygreaney is in Galway Ireland.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I'll ask the moderator to move your post to the Galway board.  Somebody in that area may have some local knowledge
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 November 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Think I have it solved ;D   My dad was sent to Letterfrack boys school around this time so it will be his court papers, still would like to see the original  then I could read the full document.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 November 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking for newspaper articles? The British Newspaper Archive have some Irish papers, though I don't know how recent they will be. Galway Archives/Library will probably have some. The actual court papers will probably be subject to a 100 yrs rule of closure.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 November 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I tried on Irish Newspapers Archive, no luck, but than had very little to search with.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 November 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Josey and Sinann, much appreciated.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 November 19 13:00 GMT (UK) »
What was his name?