Author Topic: Problem with Refresh/Reload on all/any page I open?  (Read 639 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Problem with Refresh/Reload on all/any page I open?
« on: Wednesday 27 November 19 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate any help please but not in too Technical terms?

Whenever I sign in - as well as my Google UK Homepage, regardless of what site I go on, the top left shows i.e. Refresh/Reload  ??? (I live in UK)!

Not sure I have all the info. needed but...

Toshiba Laptop - Windows 10 - Google Chrome

I'm having trouble uploading jpegs at times if it helps?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Refresh/Reload on all/any page I open?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 November 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Are you referring to the Chrome's operational controls just to the left of where the URL goes?

If so, it OUGHT to be there. It will have left arrow and right arrow symbols just to its left, for going back to the previous page, then forward again.

Clicking it just reloads the current page. That's very useful when information on a page is updated, such as the score in a football match. It's also useful when things stall for no apparent reason, such as when Ancestry refuses to show you the image you want and the page just has the rotating "progressing" animation. The root cause of that is their servers being overloaded, and your request has been lost.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 November 19 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew,

When I 1st open a page there's an 'X' showing then it changes to the refresh symbol, can't say I ever noticed before?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 November 19 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I think what you're seeing is fairly standard on modern browsers.

While a page is loading it shows the 'X', and clicking that stops it loading. This can be useful if for example something on the page isn't working properly and it repeatedly reloads on its own - or if you just change your mind about visiting that page.

Once the page is fully loaded the 'X' changes to the circular arrow refresh symbol.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 November 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The X allows you to stop loading a page that is taking too long. Once the page is fully loaded, the icon will change to the ⟳ symbol so you can refresh the current page if you wish, such as watching an online auction site counting down through the final seconds.

Aye, just what arthur says.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 November 19 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Guys,

I was sure I'd always had an 'X' showing but it's a newish contraption, not used to it & possibly looking for faults as it's not Vista (last OS) nor XP (prior to Vista & best of all).

Happy to know nothing is wrong  :-[

Annie (Technophobe)  ;D