Author Topic: 1851 Census extract  (Read 2860 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census extract
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Here is the marriage registration for James' father, George Dyce.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11451/8206428.pdf
In 1868, when he is stated to be a bachelor! This changes the most likely scenario: if his father was a bachelor in 1868, then James must have been illegitimate.
[Note that the name and address for George match the name and address on one of the census search forms submitted for James, so this is his father].
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation, in 1853, shows that the Dyce farm in Rochestown was a large, 92 acres, and was held by George's father, Dilmon. That his grandson, James, was an illiterate labourer reinforces the supposition that James was illegitimate.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
He was baptized into the Catholic church, in Taghmon, on 27/5/1866, as a convert.
The name of his father in baptism register is James Dyce.  ???
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
When I clicked on the link to James' marriage in Wexflyer's reply #8, I was taken to the census again.  ???  I found the marriage by going to the website for civil registrations.
Cowban

Offline Zoe44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for all your replies and everything you've explained for me  :)  I was really unsure who James was in regards to the census but it makes total sense now.

I'm not sure he'll link up or give me any more clues in my search for Ellen  Donnell but either way you've all cleared up alot of questions I had about the census.

Thanks again for explaining everything in detail to a novice like me!!  :)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 20:39 GMT (UK) »
When I clicked on the link to James' marriage in Wexflyer's reply #8, I was taken to the census again.  ???  I found the marriage by going to the website for civil registrations.

Somewhat bizarre, as the text of the link address was the correct address for the marriage registration. In any case, I redid the link.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 December 19 20:41 GMT (UK) »
He was baptized into the Catholic church, in Taghmon, on 27/5/1866, as a convert.
The name of his father in baptism register is James Dyce.  ???

Simply confusion and non-standard format, resulting from an adult baptism? If you take the record literally then his mother was named John!

His father is named as George on both his marriage registrations (he was married twice).