Author Topic: Another problem will  (Read 696 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another problem will
« on: Wednesday 04 December 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Hope you can help again. I am really struggling to read the writing in the attached will. I start off OK with "?? I give and bequeath unto my sister Margaret the wife of Evan Anthony three shillings" but after that it all becomes a bit of a blur. I am sure there is lots of potentially very useful info in there about relationships but I am really struggling to decipher it all.

Thank you

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another problem will
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 December 19 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Feeling less tired and with better light I have come up with the below. Can anyone please help fill in the gaps?

?? I give and bequeath unto my sister Margaret the wife of Evan Anthony three shillings and to ?? ?? the wife of William David?? The like sum of three shillings to be payd to Each of these by my? David?? Cowin/Lewin?? afore named within six months ?? after my demise?

?? I give and bequeath Unto my brother John Jenkin two?? Sons one shilling a piece to ?? Each of them within three months ?? after my ?? by my ?? Lewin?? Afore named

?? I give and bequeath unto my ??? Jane David soho? ?? with ?? ?? ?? ?? our? ?? ?? to be delivered ?? by my  ?? ?? afore named within two months  ?? after my demise?

?? I give and bequeath all the Rest and Residue of my personal estate e.g. ?? of the ?? Land wherein I ?? ?? unto my dear beloved wife Joywfor?? And during ?? ?? of her natural life and from and after her demise? I give and bequeath all my said personal estate and ?? ?? unto my nephew David ?? ?? ?? ?? for ever.

And ?? ?? nominate and appoint my dear beloved wife ?? ?? ?? ?? David to be joint executors of this my last will and testament revoking and annulling all former wills and with by? ?? ?? made and ordained? This to be my last will and testament ?? ?? I ?? putt? my land ?? the day and year  ?? above written

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 December 19 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't have time to do all of it, but here are the first two paragraphs. In the light of them, I think many of the queries in your version might become clear.

Imprimis I Give and bequeath unto my sister Margarett the wife of
Evan Anthony three shillings and to my sister Prudence the wife of
William David the like sum[m]e of three shillings to be payd to Each of them
by my Executrix Executors herein after named within six months next after my Disese

Item I give and bequeath Unto my Brother John Jenkin two sons One Shilling
apiece to be pd Each of them within three months next after my Deisase
by my Executrix Executors herein after named.

(I've only done this quickly so some of the spellings might be slightly wrong, but I'm confident of what all the words would be in modern English, and of the overall meaning.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 December 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
something like...

Item I give and bequeath unto my niece Jane David who lives with me now in the house one cow and one in calfe heyfer to be delivered her? by my executors herein after named within two months next after my decease.

Item I give and bequeath all the rest and residue of my personal estate and the lease of the house and lands wherein I live in unto my dear beloved wife Joyce for and during the terme? of her natural life and from and after her decease I give and bequeath all my said personal estate and the lease unto my nephew Francis David and his heirs forever.

And lastly I do nominate and appoint my dear beloved wife Joyce and my nephew Francis David to be joynt executors of this my last will and testament revoaking and annulling all former will and wills by me heretofore made and do ordaine this to be my last and testament. In witness whereof I have herunto putt my hand and seale the day and year first above written.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 December 19 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you very much Arthurk and Osprey

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 December 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
(I've only done this quickly so some of the spellings might be slightly wrong, but I'm confident of what all the words would be in modern English, and of the overall meaning.)

I spoke too soon. In the light of Osprey's continuation, where I wrote 'Executrix' (twice) it should have been 'Executors'. I've amended my post accordingly.

something like...

... to be delivered her?

I agree.

... for and during the terme? of her natural life

Yes, but I think it's spelled tearme.

... my nephew Francis David

Thank you - I was struggling with his first name.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 December 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
ah that spelling of term makes more sense, it looked like another letter in there.

:D
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb