Author Topic: Burbage 1881  (Read 576 times)

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burbage 1881
« on: Saturday 07 December 19 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I have details of two births that book took place in Burbage near Buxton and I would like to find out what sort of housing the family were living in at the time.

One is for June 1884 and is at 7 Duke Street - I have found this on a map and can also see a very good image of the street today on Google. The other birth in the previous year (July 1883) was at South View Cottages Burbage, but without a road name I am stuck.

So far I have tried looking in the 1881. I know the family were elsewhere in 1881 so I was simply going through the census for that area trying to find the addresses. I cannot find either South View Cottages or Duke Street so am wondering if there had been some renaming going on? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I do not have local knowledge of this area so any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burbage 1881
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 December 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 December 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 December 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Heywood - I just love that photo from 1905, showing the man in the flat cap pushing his bike - the houses have hardly changed from the Google picture of today. Thanks for that extra!

I think you have hit the nail on the head with the maps. Looking at the 1880 it  clearly shows the street, although yet to be named. It also shows that the houses are yet to be built.
Strange though as I did find in an old newspaper a piece where someone is asking for permission to alter the houses there in 1882.

Can I copy the bit of the newspaper here so people can see it?