Author Topic: Inaccuracies on recent GRO death index  (Read 1564 times)

Offline frances-b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inaccuracies on recent GRO death index
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 December 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The mystery deepens . . .

I now have the death certificate for “M” (I won’t use her full name while her sister is still living) which shows her DOB in October 1917.  I’ve looked again at the birth registration and there are two:

Stafford RD Q1 1935 vol 6B page 29, mmn “L”
Stafford RD Q4 1917 vol 6B, no page number, mmn “L”

On the original index for Oct-Nov 1917 there is a handwritten entry for “M” with her mmn, RD, volume and a comment “see M ’35”.

I think there is little doubt that both entries refer to the same person.

“M”s mother was born in Q4 1903 and married in Q3 1919 – age just about 16.  On the basis that the 1917 birth date is correct, “M” was born when her mother was only 14.  There is a GRO birth record for “M”, surname “L” (as mmn), for Stafford RD Q4 1917 with the comment “Occasional copy: A”.

This resolves the original query about the YOB on the GRO index for deaths - which is correct at 1917 - but quite why she has two birth registrations is still a puzzle, as is the fact that my mother believed the 1935 date to be correct.

Buckingham Punter Webster Topliss Radbone Waite Green Hooper
Mander Brown Cottier Hall Filcock Osborne
Bamforth Wood Smith Sykes
Hirst White Fenwick Watson Wright Marsh Wood

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 December 19 15:43 GMT (UK) »
From the information you give, it is a straightforward case of re-registration.

Originally registered in 1917 - illegitimate ( the entry is vol 6b p14, which you have found).

Parents marry in 1919.

The birth is then re-registered in 1935 (presumably under the provisions of the Legitimacy Act 1926). A reference is entered back in the 1917 index at the bottom of the page to reflect this, which is the one you are seeing without a page number - just a ref to M35 (i.e. Jan-Mar 1935 - the quarter of the re-registration).

As always - getting certificates (of both entries) is the only way to be absolutely 100% certain - but the above is the most likely scenario.

Offline frances-b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 December 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AntonyMMM – I had a feeling you might know the answer.  Was legitimising children in this way a fairly common occurance after the 1926 Act?  It’s not something I’ve come across before (nor are 14 year old mothers, thankfully).
Buckingham Punter Webster Topliss Radbone Waite Green Hooper
Mander Brown Cottier Hall Filcock Osborne
Bamforth Wood Smith Sykes
Hirst White Fenwick Watson Wright Marsh Wood

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Lots of re-registrations were done after the Legitimacy Act was passed, particularly in 1927/8 when it first became available. Still a very common thing today - with many couple having children before they marry.

When first introduced it was an option (with some conditions), it is now compulsory, although many couples don't get around to doing it.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I'll be at the British Library tomorrow and can check the actual entry on the microfiche which will have the full date of birth.

I know you have the certificate now, but if you want a check please pm me with the name.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea