Author Topic: What was William Peters doing in Whakatane sometime in the period 1910-1919?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What was William Peters doing in Whakatane sometime in the period 1910-1919?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 December 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Dangerous place. But Peters wasn’t a volcano victim. He was felled by a mosquito in Brisbane in 1919.

Judging by the topography in the picture background (and the message) I would have guessed the vessel was in port in Whakatane.

As an aside, I understand the importance of the tourism industry but I was surprised to see a Whakatane local say on the news the other night that he would hate to see White Island visits halted by health and safety concerns.

Geoff

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: What was William Peters doing in Whakatane sometime in the period 1910-1919?
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 December 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
No just wondering if he may have been on a ship berthed or offshore at Whakatane, around the time of the eruption, as suggested by others.......

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 December 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
This is a picture of the Whakatane docks c1910. I think the hills are the ones in the background of the William Peters picture.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 December 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
But he could still have been there around 1914, I guess. He probably wouldn't be mentioning things like that in a brief postcard home, lest he worry the recipient.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 13 December 19 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Life on board and crewing.

Remember that the Tasman at 179 tonnes gross, was only a quarter the size of the Ngapuhi at 691 tonnes gross.

http://www.nzmaritimeindex.org.nz/nssco/working.htm

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 13 December 19 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting. I guess the six people in the William Peters pic could be 2 able seamen (dressed up), 1 fireman, 1 trimmer, 1 greaser, and 1 boy.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 13 December 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Captain Chris. FAULKNER 1852 - 1936 Captain of the ss Tasman for a period. Being in his 60's means he is not one of the subjects in the photo.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/BOPT19340728.2.17?end_date=31-12-1940&items_per_page=100&phrase=2&query=Captain+Faulkner&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA&start_date=01-01-1880&title=BOPT

Alan.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 13 December 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
OK. Understood. Thanks. Geoff

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 December 19 01:12 GMT (UK) »
This is a picture of the Whakatane docks c1910. I think the hills are the ones in the background of the William Peters picture.

This is one of quite a number of Whakatane, and BoP, photos taken by photographer William Archer PRICE ca. 1910, held by the National Library. Gifted by his widdow, and includes well over 1,000 photographs. Many being postcard subjects.

Alan.

PS A link or two:-

https://natlib.govt.nz/records/22890028?search%5Bi%5D%5Bname_authority_id%5D=-88273&search%5Bpath%5D=items

https://natlib.govt.nz/items?commit=Search&page=4&text=Whakatane+&utf8=%E2%9C%93