Author Topic: Completed Royal Irish Constabulary Patrick Colgan Carlow  (Read 8307 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Completed Royal Irish Constabulary Patrick Colgan Carlow
« on: Saturday 20 August 05 02:42 BST (UK) »
Patrick Colgan had three children to the best of my knowledge, Thomas born 1844 Muckalee KIK, William 1847 Myshall CAR and Mary Ann (the ancestor !) born c 1857 assumed Carlow,
Patrick died 20 th  Aug 1857 in Carlow, place not known I would like to find Mary Ann's POB and Patricks death place.        A strange thing regarding Patricks service is that he attained the rank of Constable but was reduced to 1st class Sub Constable in the weeks before his death, his record I have does not state a reason.
 Post Script:  Have today 23rd Aug 2005 after many years believe I have found the reason for Patricks death. From the New York City newspaper "News from Ireland" Sep 26th 1857 edition   "A policeman named Colgan drowned himself lately in the River Barrow near Carlow while labouring under a fit of depression" If not our Patrick one mighty coincidence? Any ideas on how to narrow down the research as regards the River Barrows location? and could it be that Mary Ann was born after Patricks death?
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Irish Constabulary Patrick Colgan Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 06 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hei Densavage,

This site shows a map of the River Barrow
http://walks.iwai.ie/barrow/index.shtml

Best Wishes, Christopher