Author Topic: Where from here? Do I go??  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
Re: Where from here? Do I go??
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 07:57 GMT (UK) »
 Hi, Brigidmac, All,
    Good Morning, Thank you for your interest and help. I am still very much a novice regarding on / of how to get / find of what record's that can be available to someone, anyone, to when they first start to research their own, or someone else's Family History. My age, or people of my age group, do not realise of what their " old grey matter " has stored away, under it's own lock and key, if you know what I mean. From your profile I am very similar in trying to "" get on "" with how to use and have an "" understanding ""of them ??
  As you have seen of where I am at this present stage with my Family History research and I am trying to get, reach into, of how someone is able to research into as with what I /have come across, bumped into with my Family History.
 My "bumping" into has my ancestor/s of being from an eastern part of Europe. The name of Gottleip has arisen. There are it seems a few variation' s on / as to the way it is spelt.
With my research, going back, it appears firstly 1800 / 1850's. I do not have an understanding / meaning of what the name of Gottleip has / was??
The nearest back ( Gottleip ?) ancestor, of whome I have a strong belief to be mine? , is on the 1841 Census aged, 60 ish, and of being of Foreign Origin. My calculations, with my math's bring him of being born in the region of 1775 and 1785 ?? Taking into account of that he is of Foreign Origin on the 1841. In his previous years in this country he has Married , in 1811, he has had four children.
Questioning this, how long / when then does a person hold his of being of Foreign Origin for. When is / was he allowed to drop his of Foreign Origin tag ??
You now have to bring in here with and of what you have in front of yourself.
He is / was born approx. 1780?. Was he Born / Baptised in this country ?? If not what country is he from?? and by / on what Ship did he arrive on.?? If so what Port in this country, which would the first one to start research into??
With the help of another R.C member he brought information to me of how the ""time"" of living was then through the work / workers of what ""SUGARBAKER' s"" were / did then. I have a ( possible ?? ) maybe, ancestral connection but only with further research, which needs to be done, firstly and mainly in this country??.
As I still I class my experience / knowledge of Family History as "" amateur intruder""
any advice , suggestion' s I'd appreciate?
Thank you for reading my post,Regards Just J

Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha amateur intruder in FH  Great term

Why didn't you include ancestors name in previous post.

Could it possibly be the Same man as I found b1851 ?

Joh could be short for John or Johannes
GOTTLEIB could be a middle name or surname and Wentzel could be the German spelling

The spelling on graves in Britain could be angliscized ...I don't know what the alternative to Gottleip would be .

I'm getting a bit confused
please list everything you know about the 3 eldest people on your tree.  With EVERYTHING you KNOW about them and what proof you have .1)marriages including witnesses addresses ,professions.

2)birth certs ...

3).baptisms of any children

4)Censuses

5)Graves

6) probate .

7) miscellaneous

That sounds like a lot of work but it will help future researchers and save having to read thru long posts

Thanks + sorry that I can't help look for Graves I've not mastered that intrusion
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The eldest person of the WENTZELL'S is GOTTLEIP WENTZELL born between 1775 and 1785?.
The next are his four children born ANDREW B1814, JOHN JAMES/ JAMES JOHN B1816, LETITIA B1818 and AMELIA JANE B1825.
The 1841 Census is the only Census that GOTTLEIP WENTZELL is on as he dies in 1844, but under the name of JOHN WENTZELL.
All further Censuses on the offspring do not hold with any reference as to JOHN WENTZELL (GOTTLEIP)
I have all the relevant Census records from 1841 to 1871 on the offspring but there's nothing to  show anything that would point a way of finding anything before the 1841 Census.?
The one thing on the 1841 Census that's helpful is that JOHN WENTZELL is entered as of being of foreign origin.The big but here is of how long he, or any person then, stayed being of foreign origin?
 GOTTLEIB WENTZELL was / got Married in 1811 to a HANNAH BERRY.The Bishops Transcript does not show any witnesses on it/them? He has had four children by 1825.
I am trying to get further back, the 1841 Census has him aged at 60.
Born between 1775 and 1885 possibly?. I have had no luck in finding Baptism records for JOHN WENTZELL or his Wife HANNAH (BERRY). I have recently come across a AUGUSTINE WENTZELL b 1760 died 1814 on ancestry. The AUGUSTINE WENTZELL'S birth year,death year,and cemetery details of St.Mary, Newington, Walworth have only been added to Ancestry it seems within the last year or so. He / This AUGUSTINE could be related to GOTTLEIP, can anyone advise as to where / what to research into if it's possible to find out if he is anyway connected to GOTTLEIP, Any information appreciated, Regards JUST J

Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify on census 1841 are the 4 children down as being born in the area or elsewhere? + Sorry you said Gottleib foreign parts so guess wife a d children were local

I can look on  German records
For Gottleib/ John  born abroad

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I think the baptism i found in reply 34  joh. Gottleb
August WENTZELL could be him

The msrriage in reply 35 would be his.nephew son of Frederick WENTZELand Ann GREINERIN
 named after his grandfather joh.
Gottleib Wentzel the elder b about 1750

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 12:33 GMT (UK) »
I think it's normal to drop a first name when you have 3 to choose from
I think he must have rarely used Gottlieb or August maybe his children didn't know his other names  so would be buried as John

His nephew and other relations maybe retained their middle names

Is your tree on ancestry open to public

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately some births were without the second L

I can't go back on any world wide so I am sorry I can't help Just J

Happy Hunting

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all,
The first son was baptised ANDREW GOTTLEIP /B WENTZELL b 1814

The second JOHN JAMES / JAMES JOHN WENTZELL b 1816 his second son was named  ALBERT GOTTLEIP /B WENTZELL b 1839 Middx.
This is the final GOTTLEIB that I have in my line.??

I do not have my tree on Ancestry at present. I have not done this because for some time the families could not find out which of the two JAMES's was in fact our GREAT,GREAT,GRANDFATHER and which one was our GREAT,GREAT,GREAT GREATFATHER.
We tried in the past to put it all together but when we found out what our families history had held we decided to leave it until we had further proof of who was who.The brickwall that we had, thanks from all Rootschatters you, we have taken it down and It will be on Ancestry sometime in the New Year.

Don't know if you have had a family ancestor/s put in the wrong place at all, but it certainly does put a strain on yourself. I can't praise your people enough for your help. I may not be doing much more this side of Christmas,( if I can keep away??) Many thanks to you People's. Have a very good Christmas and a Happy New Year, Bless you all.
Regards JUST J
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 December 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Bless you to Just J, you also  have put a lot of work into this yourself

Enjoy Christmas

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London