Author Topic: Joseph Slater born circa 1820 Bilston  (Read 1910 times)

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Slater born circa 1820 Bilston
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 December 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Had a look at the newspapers for Joseph and found his claim to fame.
He was the first member of the Primitive Methodists Church in this country founded in 1810.
His wife Mary nee Bourne was the second.
Birmingham Daily Gazette 20 Sep 1932
The church was founded by Hugh Bourne in 1810.
The first member was Joseph Slater of Standley in the Potteries and the second his wife Mary nee Bourne a relative of the founder.
Joseph went from the Potteries to Bradley as an ironworker and is buried in the Wesleyan Cemetery at Bilston ,his wife ,the last survivor of the first class is buried in Willenhalll cemetery.

So their marriage must be at Stoke on Trent 25.4.1803
Joseph Slater forgeman of Norton in the Moors and Mary Bourne of the same spinster.

The staffordshire Advertiser 13.2.1847 gives a long long list of partners in the Manchester and Liverpool Banking Company and Joseph Slater forgeman of Bilston is one.

Ciderdrinker

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 December 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Here is some stuff on Hugh Bourne 1772-1852

BIRTH   3 Apr 1772
Stoke-on-Trent, Stoke-on-Trent Unitary Authority, Staffordshire, England
DEATH   11 Oct 1852 (aged 80)
Staffordshire, England
BURIAL   
Englesea Brook Chapel
Englesea-Brook, Cheshire East Unitary Authority, Cheshire, England
MEMORIAL ID   26463663 · View Source

MEMORIAL
PHOTOS 4
FLOWERS 3
He was born in Stoke-on-Trent,Staffordshire,England,the son of Joseph and Ellen Bourne.As a youth,he was apprenticed to his uncle as a wheelwright,and eventually pursued this trade being principally concerned with windmill and watermill wheels.From his childhood he sought an inner conviction of salvation and he spent,as he put it, "twenty sorrowful years" in this pursuit.In 1799,at the age of twenty-seven,he achieved this goal.From that point on,he began to seek a way to be a preacher of the gospel,although by necessity he continued in his trade.He joined the Methodist movement,but his support of the "camp meeting" type of open-air evangelism did not endear him to many fellow Methodists.He learned much about the camp meeting when the American evangelist Lorenzo Dow (1777-1834)visited England, on May 31,1807,he put his knowledge into practice by organizing the first English camp meeting at Mow Cop,on the border of Cheshire and Staffordshire.The Methodist authorities condemned the proceedings as "highly improper and liable to be productive of considerable mischief in England," and excluded Bourne from the circuit in 1808.Bourne and his followers organized under the name Camp Meeting Methodists.In 1810, William Clowes (1780-1851) was also excluded from the Methodist circuit for much the same reasons as Bourne's exclusion and in 1812 the name Primitive Methodists was taken. The Camp Meeting Methodists and the Clowesites coalesced into one body. Emphasis on the camp meeting as a channel of evangelism was unquestioned.For the next forty years,Bourne travelled widely,founding Primitive Methodist societies,which by the time of his death numbered one hundred ten thousand persons with five hundred.and more travelling preachers. In 1829,a mission field was opened in America,with stations in New York,Philadelphia,and Upper Canada.In 1840,the United States churches became independent of the English Conference.Bourne,at the age of seventy-two,in 1844 undertook a journey to Upper Canada to oversee the mission there.

There is a picture of him on Find a Grave .com

/www.findagrave.com/memorial/26463663

His Will made in 1844 before his trip to Canada leaves everything to his brother James a farmer of Bemersley.

Mary seems to be the daughter of William and Sarah Bourne of Walton near Stone bapt at Norton in the Moors 22.5.1782.

So I'm guessing William and Hugh's father Joseph were brothers.

Mary's brother William Bourne bookkeeper of Stoke on Trent leaves a Will 2.5.1837.
It mentions his nephew Samuel Slater and brother in law Joseph Slater
Brothers Samuel and Thomas and sister Elizabeth wife of Thomas Lord.

I think he was baptised Norton the Moors 7.6.1778.
Siblings your Mary 22.5.1782 ,Thomas 2.4.1786 ,Samuel 184.1788 ,Pheobe 10.4.1792, Elizabeth 18.6.1794

The parents William and Sarah nee and after Bourn were married by licence 6.7.1777 at Stoke on Trent.He was of S on T ans she of Wolstanton and both were single and over 21.

So it could be either that is related to Hugh.

Ciderdrinker

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 December 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks for all of that Ciderdrinker, really fascinating information.  The person I'm doing the research for will be tickled pink.

Just going to email it all to her for her to then discuss with her mother.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 December 19 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone an idea of where/how I can find the value of Joseph's estate, the probate mentioned above doesn't list it.

I have found schedules of later Probates that do list the deceased's estate value but the above Joseph doesn't appear on any such list, leastwise not that I've found to date.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 December 19 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Ciderdrinker,

At the end of your second post on 19  December you mention the marriage of William and Sarah in 1777.  After nee after Sarah's name I don't understand what you wrote, could you clarify that for me please.  Thanks.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 19:24 GMT (UK) »
William Bourne of the Parish of Stoke upon Trent in country of Stafford B.
Spouse Sarah Bourne, of this Parish aforesaid spinster
Marriage 06 Jul 1777 Stoke on Trent, St Peter Ad Vincula
Denomination   Anglican
Archive reference   D1188/9
Record set   Staffordshire Marriages
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 January 20 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk, that clarifies the situation. 

Offline SummersP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 October 22 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Artifis, so pleased to happen on this conversation even if it is a long time now since it took place.  Joseph Slater (1820 - 6 May 1896) is my husband's great great grandfather. He was married to Sarah Banks.  I didn't know about the Bourn Primitive Methodist connection but it makes sense as they and the Summers were staunch Wesley Methodists.  You can see Joseph and Sarah's headstone on "findagrave" in the Bilston cemetery with their daughter, Caroline Banks Slater at the top of the headstone.  You were asking about Joseph's probate and I found the entry for that - I'm sure it's the right one because he mentions his son-in-law, Enoch Summers, in it (Enoch married Mary Ann Slater, known as Polly).  I have a family Bible with names and dates.  Happy to share more info. 
Leck, Robberds, Unthank, Woodland, Ferris, Davis, Bachelier, Cordon, Deverdun, Pahon, Riviere, Summers.

Offline SummersP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone an idea of where/how I can find the value of Joseph's estate, the probate mentioned above doesn't list it.

I have found schedules of later Probates that do list the deceased's estate value but the above Joseph doesn't appear on any such list, leastwise not that I've found to date.

Any help much appreciated.

Hi Artifis, the probate record I have indicates the value of the estate was 58 pounds, 2 shilings and sixpence. Joseph is my husband's great great grandfather.  Cheers, Pamela in Sydney
Leck, Robberds, Unthank, Woodland, Ferris, Davis, Bachelier, Cordon, Deverdun, Pahon, Riviere, Summers.