Author Topic: DNA ethnicity estimates: Performance varies  (Read 866 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
DNA ethnicity estimates: Performance varies
« on: Thursday 26 December 19 14:56 GMT (UK) »
On this subject, I strongly recommend this article. M&Ms are like UK Smarties.

https://www.yourdnaguide.com/ydgblog/2019/9/13/which-dna-tests-ethnicity-estimate-is-best

This post should almost be in the Common Room.

Martin

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA ethnicity estimates: Performance varies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I can understand that  ;D  ;D 
Although I'm still undecided whether it is worth doing yet.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 December 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Not if ethnicity is your only DNA interest.

Martin

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
But definitely worth doing it if you have a strong interest in family history and have a decent sized family tree online, for you and others to compare.

And you have until midnight to take advantage of Ancestry's latest offer, one of the cheapest seen.
This offer for £50 + £10 postage (or purchase from  Amazon for £50 inc. postage, half the price I paid 2 years ago, £80 + £20 postage).

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
If you have a test done eg with Ancestry do you have to join Ancestry ?
I won't put my family history online ,so probably not for me as much as I would like to do a test.

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 December 19 18:48 GMT (UK) »
No, you don’t have to pay for a separate subscription. You can just have a DNA account, with no ongoing charges.

I have put up limited trees (mostly direct line only) on the sites I have tested with/uploaded my data to. I consider these provide enough names and dates for DNA matches to get a preliminary view as to where a potential match might be and they can contact me for more info. They don’t include photos, stories, or associated documents.

I probably need to add a couple more generations to these limited online trees, however, because I underestimated how far back matches can take you. I have two examples of matches where our common ancestors were born about 1760s - 1780s, yet the amount of DNA we share is comparable to, or greater than, that shared with known third cousins with shared ancestors born in the 1840 s. Cousin marriages appear to be responsible.

I have withheld my name and the names of my parents and grandparents  - these are only relevant to very close matches who would know this information anyway. Contrary to some comments I have seen on Rootschat, withholding these names does not appear to affect the operation of tools such as the Theory of a Relativity or Through lines. 

If you don’t want to put any family tree information at all on line, or only want a private tree which no one else can see, then I agree there is no point testing. I suppose people who do this can freeload off the information from their matches, but they will still miss out on much of the value of testing. I don’t bother contacting matches with no trees or private trees as I assume they either have no interest in family history ( no tree) or no interest in sharing/collaboration ( private trees).

DNA helped me find out the father of my illegitimate 2 x great grandfather ( it led me to the right paper trail) - I am very, very glad I have tested. I was also able to help a match identify his unknown great grandparents. Again, it was a combination of DNA plus traditional research. It is helping me confirm other working theories and explore new avenues.

I hope you find a way to address your concerns so you can experience the exhilaration of the world DNA testing opens up, but I do understand that it is not something everyone wants to do.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 December 19 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much SelDen your reply is very informative and very helpful.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 December 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Selden, how many generations is it to your 17xx matches?

Martin

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 December 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
From memory, one match is a 5th cousin and one a sixth, but there may have been a removal or two involved given generational slippage from large families. They are not related to each other. I am away from my notes.

I appreciate this is within the ranges given by DNA sites. I was too conservative when putting up my trees, thinking that there wasn’t much point going earlier than end of 18th - early 19th century. However, I was wrong and I need to go back and stick up some more of my direct line ancestors.

On MyHeritage both matches with shared ancestors in the 1760s-1780s show up as sharing around 50CM with me. One match originally tested with Ancestry and on Ancestry I share less than 20CM with this person. Both lines have cousin marriages.