Author Topic: Matchett family  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Matchett family
« on: Friday 27 December 19 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, I am searching for any information (parents, siblings) on Samuel Matchett, thought to have been born in Co Armagh in ~1812.   I believe that his wife's name was Elizabeth.

Family information indicates that Samuel and Elizabeth had five children born in Co Down (Tullylish?)between 1840 and ~1855. Their names include: Elizabeth, George Alexander, Sarah Jane, Margaret, and Isabella.

It appears that Samuel was a farmer and the family lived in Tullylish, Drumaran between 1863 and 1902. The 1901 Ireland census info that shows Samuel Matchett (88, b at Co Armagh), head, widower, farmer, living at Tullylish, Drumaran, Co. Down, with daughter Margaret Matchett (52, b in Co. Down), not married, and grand-daughter Florence Calder (13, b in Co. Down).  Samuel was buried (age 89) at Tullylish/Drumaran, (Banbridge Dist) Co. Down, N. Ireland Sept qtr 1902.

thank you for your time and assistance.
cheers
Ian

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matchett family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 19 08:25 GMT (UK) »
There are no Matchett farms listed in Tullylish in the tithe applotment records for 1827 – 1834.

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/tullylish-parish.php

Daughter Margaret is shown as born in Co Down c 1848 so that probably narrows the time of Samuel's arrival in Drumaran to between 1834 and 1848.

Elizabeth Matchett died 23.7.1883 aged 71. Husband Samuel was the informant.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1883/06355/4823374.pdf

Elwyn

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 19 09:26 GMT (UK) »
For reference here's 1901 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Tullyish/Drumaran/1204133/

Samuel was buried (age 89) at Tullylish/Drumaran, (Banbridge Dist) Co. Down, N. Ireland Sept qtr 1902.
Think you mean died rather than buried- informant was son-in-law Robert McBride-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05689/4603409.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Co. Armagh in 1901 census as Samuel's county of birth might be a red herring. See how close Tullylish Parish is to the Down-Armagh border-
https://www.townlands.ie/down/tullylish/

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 19 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Would need full article to see if this is relevant-
Newry Reporter, 25 June 1903: … account in a far-off land, whither he and his family had emigrated; last summer I paid the final tribute of respect to Bro. Samuel Matchett, who, full of years, honoured and respected by the public, and beloved by his brethren in the Craft, was consigned to his last resting place in the neighbouring cemetery of Tullylish ...

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ian Sumpter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 December 19 22:51 GMT (UK) »
yes Dathai, Lizzie Wilson was a grand-daughter, daughter of Elizabeth Matchett and William Wilson.

Thank you all for your responses. I have family geneology info leading up to Samuel Matchett.  I am currently stumped at finding Samuel Matchett's birthplace (1812) and name of parents and siblings.

cheers
ian

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 01:37 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in your Matchett/Wilson connection.  My hubby's Wilsons were in Derrylee, Co. Armagh ... an area where there were several Matchett families -- an Eliza Matchett was a neighbour and tenant to our Wilsons.