Author Topic: McKinnon born Argyleshire died Lanarkshire  (Read 1321 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McKinnon born Argyleshire died Lanarkshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 December 19 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for this couple showing on 9 June 1818 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKF-DLX

Added: There is this death showing on the statutory registers (from 1855) which would be worth checking for Hugh:

Hugh MCKINNON
Age 71
644/1 1142
Glasgow Central District

Can't easily see anything that might fit for Mary so far.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 December 19 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Rosinish - Mary has no maiden name on the death cert unfortunately.  That is what has made this harder.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 December 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Colc yes - I saw that for Morvern too.  By putting 'L' and using starts with for the period 1815-1825 - there are 14 Lachlan/Lauchlan's born in that period in Argyll.  In Scotlandspeople I have tried just putting 'McKinnon' and 'phoenetic matching' in surname - no first name - choosing 'both' for sex - choosing 'all' for county and putting hugh as 1st parent name and mary as 2nd parent name and I only get Mary Morison coming up twice in the 2 pages of results.  For Grace and Christina's births. 
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 December 19 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Monica - thank you for your posts.  They are really helpful.  I didn't have the 1841 nor 1851 census you have found.  I only have 2 credits left so will add to them today and will buy that death cert for Hugh.  I wonder why I can't find Lachlan's birth if his mother was indeed Morison - when those 2 girls births are recorded.  Anne

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 December 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hugh variants Ewen/Ewan

Not all records have survived

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Anne, unfortunately Lachlan's birth or baptism may not be there to be found. Pre the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855, the Old Parish Registers were the main form of records for BMD events for the established Church of Scotland ie presbyterian.

There are many gaps in these volumes for many reasons. Registers lost or destroyed over the years, parents not registering all events for births/christenings (it cost money or it was just not practical or possible to do) etc. You very often, if you are lucky to find anything, will find some records for a family but not all (why is it that it is often the one you seek  ::)).

It is stated that only about a third of events are to be found in these registers, with burials and deaths being the poorest recorded of events in parishes.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Monica - I bought the 1858 death cert of Hugh McKinnon.  Unfortunately it says he was 'married' - no wife name - no parents names and death was notified by the poor house governor.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I wonder why I can't find Lachlan's birth if his mother was indeed Morison - when those 2 girls births are recorded.
It is quite common for events to be missing from the surviving records, and it sounds as if you have searched every possible variation, so it may be that the record simply does not exist.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Seeing as Hugh died in a poorhouse have you searched the archives to see if there is a poor relief application for him?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.