Author Topic: John North b. c1779 Winsham area, Somerset  (Read 409 times)

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John North b. c1779 Winsham area, Somerset
« on: Sunday 29 December 19 19:11 GMT (UK) »
My oldest ancestor, who I'm 100% certain is my ancestor, is John North, who married Fanny Oliver in Winsham, Somerset on 31 January 1804. He was buried on 19 September 1827 in St Stephen's churchyard, Winsham, aged 48. He lived at Ammerham. However, I've been unable to find out when and where he was born/baptised. There are quite a few Norths in the area, particularly in Chaffcombe. I'm posting this on here because the area lies across Somerset, Devon and Dorset, and he may have been from a neighbouring village. Please can anyone help me find his birth/baptism, and so hopefully I trace his parents and any siblings? I have found an Ann North who married William Hutchings on 10 April 1804 in Winsham, and I thought that she might be John's sister, but can't find any evidence to prove or disprove this. Thanks for reading this, and I'd be really grateful for any help.
Jewell - Devon, Cornwall and Manchester
North - Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Cardiff and Warrington
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John North b. c1779 Winsham area, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 19 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I have been given a record of a baptism of a John North on 11 May 1779, parents Samuel North and Rose Anna Williams, at Donyatt, Somerset. The source of this record is unknown, but apparently it is part of a tree which also has my John North and the Chaffcombe Norths in it.
I have a record of a Samuel North, baptised 15 January 1739 at Chaffcombe, parents Samuel and Phillis, and a record of Samuel North marrying Phillis Dalaby 0n 8 October 1732 in Taunton.
I also have a record from FindMyPast of an apprenticeship for Samuel North to a shoemaker in Donyatt in 1752. I think this may be my John's father, but is he the son of Samuel and Phillis?
Please does anyone have access to Parish records for Donyatt, and could confirm John's baptism, and also a possible marriage for Samuel and Rose? I can't find anything online. Thanks for reading this.
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 19 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Marriage
19th April 1761
Blandford Forum, Dorset
Samuel North
Rosanna Williams

Image on Ancestry
As Hosanna

Baptisms on Family Search & Ancestry
At Donyatt
Betty 1763
Samuel 1765
Thomas 1768
Marey 1773

John is not indexed in his name but if you find Marey and forward to image number 45 of 48 it is there on Ancestry.

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Comberton. I've found a few more records on Family Search, but I have my doubts about one or two! At least I've been able to fill in some gaps and extend my tree further back, so a good day's work!
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset