Author Topic: Marriage of Sarah Woollant and Thomas Groom Pace, Welshampton, 11 March 1828  (Read 586 times)

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am hoping someone could help me with the details of this marriage - witness names, and in particular whether Woollant might actually be Woollam?  This relates to research I am doing on my gggrandfather William Kay/Keay, who was lodging with the Woollam family in Welshampton in the 1841 census at the age of 9.  The above details come from familysearch.  Many thanks for any help you can give.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Sarah Woollant and Thomas Groom Pace, Welshampton, 11 March 1828
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 19 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It took me a while to find this as the grooms surname is not Pace - it is Dod  :-\ it sort of looks like that and has been transcribed as such but could be wrong. However the good news is that Sarah’s surname is indeed WOOLAM. Neither party could sign the register but the minister has written WOOLAM quite clearly

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Sarah Woollant and Thomas Groom Pace, Welshampton, 11 March 1828
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 19 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry witnesses were William Woolam ( he signed) and Mary Cartwright ( left her mark)

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 19 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire, Thank you so much for this.  It fills in a bit of the confusing puzzle of the Groom/Dod/Keay family.  So Pace is mistranscribed as Dod?   Is the record saying that the groom was Dod, or that it was Thomas Groom Dod?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 December 19 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The record says Thomas Groom Dod of Welchampton and Sarah Woollam of the same parish.By banns
And as Claire says the witnesses are William Wooolam and mark of Mary Cartwright

Their daughter Sarah Ann is also baptised as Dod 8 Nov 1835 of Hampton Bank ? labourer

Edward Groom Dod buried age 1 26.8.1829 bapt 7.9.1828

William Edward Groom Dod bapt 26.5.1833 Husbandry ? labourer Hampton Bank
John Groom Dodd  29.12.1839 Hampton Bank Labourer

Similar but has to be them
Caroline Groom 22.8.1830 Hampton labourer

Ann Dodd 7.12.1843 The Row Welchampton labourer

ps I see where you're going William Keay looks to be with his grandmother on the 1841 census and is this the family in 1851?

Welch Hampton
Thomas Keay 52 boatman Wem
Sarah 50 Ellesmere
Sarah Ann 15 Hampton
John 11 Hampton
Eliza  7 Hampton

If so William Edward Groom Dod could well be the William Keay on the 1841 census.

Thomas Kay burial Welch Hampton of Hampton Bank age 62  on 1.6.1862
Sarah Dodd burial also there 5.8.1867 age 68 years Hampton Bank
A baptism for her at Ellesmere d of Edward and Sarah Woollam 23 June 1799 born 15th

Ciderdrinker

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker.  Thank you for the extra checking and information.  I can't claim credit for piecing this together - others have been there before me re Groom/Dod/Keay.  But the connection to Woollam has finally given me enough certainty to say that my gggrandfather was christened Groom rather than K(e)ay.  Hoorah!

Offline cathnl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
PS  I hadn't appreciated that William was christened as Groom Dod, rather than just Groom. I have done a bit of googling to see if canal people of the time were usually so fast and loose with their surnames, but nothing enlightening so far!