Author Topic: Help identify uniforms  (Read 1501 times)

Offline McGuire77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identify uniforms
« on: Sunday 05 January 20 00:55 GMT (UK) »
My family have found 2 pictures which we believe are from around the time of WW1. Is there anything anyone can help me with in how to confirm the period? Authentic uniforms? Regiment?

The generation that it's believed pics are of I can't find any service records for 1 brother and the other was living in Canada at the outbreak of the war and served with the Canadian Forces.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul
PATERNAL
MCGUIRE/MAGUIRE - HARRISON
MCKEOWN (Derry) - DONNELLY (Moneymore)
COLLINS (Dunmanway/Merthyr Tydfil) - WHELAN (Waterford/Wales/Liverpool)
DILLON - MCSORLEY

MATERNAL
MACDONALD - O'DONNELL
CRAIG, MULLEN, CROW, CUMMING, MCBREARTY, CROW
SHERRY

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
Re: Help identify uniforms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 20 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
The fist guy is wearing a Royal Artillery cap badge with bandolier indicating a mounted branch such as Royal Field Artillery or Royal Horse Artillery.
Second guy is wearing a Scottish type bonnet. I cant see the badge properly, maybe a Canadian Scottish Regiment.
Is there any writing on the photos?
Some one with more knowledge will be along soon.

Andrew

If you provide their names dob, where they were born that might help some one to find their records --if they have survived.

Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 20 09:36 GMT (UK) »
In fact all three branches of the Royal Artillery (thus including the Royal Garrison Artillery) had mounted elements and uniform that included a bandolier.  In this case I'd go for Royal Horse Artillery on the basis of his buttons which look to me like the ball buttons only worn by the RHA.  These were smaller than the standard "flat" buttons. Contrast the size of the buttons with the second pic.

While the Canadians did apparently wear British style uniforms right at the beginning, their standard tunic was a seven button affair with an upstanding collar. This chap is wearing the standard British tunic , ie not the simplified tunic issued in 1914/1915 which had no shoulder patches or pleats in the pockets.  Problem here though is that later in the war the standard tunic came into issue again so it could be later.  His shoulder titles if we could see them, would give better clues, his cap badge  can't really be identified properly.  As Andrew says, any dates/names may help.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline McGuire77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 January 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both so far.

I don't have the actual pictures but have asked the person who does have them to have a look on the back.

As far as my family are concerned the uniformed chaps are the same person, Robert McGuire born 1896 in Glasgow.

I've been doing a lot of work on family tree and had already discovered that his brother, William John born 1888 Glasgow, emigrated to Canada in 1912 and signed up for Canadian Forces 1914 until discharged 1919 as a driver in 39th battery artillery.

There were no other brothers in the family and, so far, no other candidates for who could be uniformed. But, I can't find any service records for Robert. His parents are William and Mary and he was unmarried until 1921 and addresses of Roberts with records dont match so far.
PATERNAL
MCGUIRE/MAGUIRE - HARRISON
MCKEOWN (Derry) - DONNELLY (Moneymore)
COLLINS (Dunmanway/Merthyr Tydfil) - WHELAN (Waterford/Wales/Liverpool)
DILLON - MCSORLEY

MATERNAL
MACDONALD - O'DONNELL
CRAIG, MULLEN, CROW, CUMMING, MCBREARTY, CROW
SHERRY

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »
You may not be aware that some 60% of service records were lost to bombing in WW2 so the odds are always against finding identifiable records.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 January 20 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The scottish soldier wears the cap badge of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 January 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
The Royal Artillery soldier seems to have a formation square patch on his arm which would date it late war.