Author Topic: Complicated man - Alfred Morris or Alfred Oneill or Alphonsus not Alfred  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Complicated man - Alfred Morris or Alfred Oneill or Alphonsus not Alfred
« on: Monday 06 January 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
 I was hoping some people here could possibly make some suggestions on how i might be able to find my father inlaws fathers birth cert.
 Ill explain the search so far and if anybody cant suggest anything Id really appreciate it greatly.
 It starts with his grandmother annie edwards who was born in ballynaslaney enniscorthy in 1877. She married a british soldier named george william morris stationed in marlborough barracks in 1898 and had her first child william the same year. George was then sent to the boar war and died at wessels nek.
In 1903 annie morris married michael oneill and had 3 more children between 1903 - 1911.
Family stories say michael claimed one of them wasnt his and annie left ballynaslaney in fear. Were told she went to england (we dont really know) but when she returned she had another baby that came to be known as Alfred morris, however when alfred married later in life his marrage cert reads as alfred oneill, yet one year after marrying as oneill he began to christen his own children as morris.
 To complicate things more he was supposedly christened as alphonsus not alfred. Something we didnt believe at first but the church in barntown not far from here was the first church in ireland dedicated to saint alphonsus who is the saint of redemption, kind of sounds like she may have felt guilty about something.
 Im also told alfred was in the raf sometime after 1939 and deserted, coming from england to northern ireland in his uniform with rifle and all the way back down to wexford but again ive no idea what name he used to join, what address he gave or dob.
 Has anybody any suggestions or tips on how to find someone this elusive?
 Its possible when in england he may have stayed with the family of annies first husband george william morris or annies sister mary kate edwards.
 It was stated by alfreds brother that he worked in ford in dagenham when they were there but that didnt open till 1928 so it cant be true.
 Thats pretty much it, its a confusing story at best, filled with holes and dead ends, any suggestions are welcome.
 I was told the wexford archive held a passenger list between 1910 - 1920 from here to england but that turned out to be captain and crew list only.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Complicated man
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 January 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry if I have missed this but when was Alfred born?

I don’t understand the reference to Fords, Dagenham - why could that not be true?
Where did the relatives in England live?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello haywood, sorry for the confusion. So alfred is meant to have been born in 1914 according to school records. Annie left ballynaslaney after 1911 and returned before her death in 1920. Since ford didnt open till 1928 william couldnt have worked there during these years.

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 20 16:13 GMT (UK) »
According to a prison report for george william morris when he was arrested in dublin for stealing a coat his family was from birmingham.
 I also found a 1911 census in birmingham for a mary kate edwards from wexford but i cant say for sure if this is annies sister or not.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
OP: So, where was Alfred/Alphonsus born? England or Ireland? Not clear.

Apart from that, there was a very strong legal assumption that all children born to a married woman were her husbands. So, I would expect the birth to be registered in her married name. Of course, the registration is based on what the registrar was told, which may or may not have accorded with legal theory....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 20 22:53 GMT (UK) »

"...told she went to england (we dont really know) but when she returned she had another baby that came to be known as Alfred morris, however when alfred married later in life his marrage cert reads as alfred oneill,...."

If he was always known to everyone as Alfred Morris...it points to he might have needed to produce Birth Cert for Marriage??

Have you asked the Priest if a Birth Cert would be needed before marriage??

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 20 23:51 GMT (UK) »

"...told she went to england (we dont really know) but when she returned she had another baby that came to be known as Alfred morris, however when alfred married later in life his marrage cert reads as alfred oneill,...."

If he was always known to everyone as Alfred Morris...it points to he might have needed to produce Birth Cert for Marriage??

Have you asked the Priest if a Birth Cert would be needed before marriage??

Or a Baptisim cert.

Offline Ronan Doran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Complicated man - Alfred Morris or Alfred Oneill or Alphonsus not Alfred
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello, we have been to the local church and no birth or baptisiamal cert were found.
 Its believed he was born in england.
 Even though he was always called morris he did marry as oneill.
 We are not certain annies husband is the father, thats one of the main reasons were searching.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Complicated man - Alfred Morris or Alfred Oneill or Alphonsus not Alfred
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, we have been to the local church and no birth or baptisiamal cert were found.
 Its believed he was born in england.
 Even though he was always called morris he did marry as oneill.
 We are not certain annies husband is the father, thats one of the main reasons were searching.

Yes we know all that....but was it by choice to marry as O'Neiil or did he have to provide I.D. or not is what I was wondering.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.