Author Topic: Update to Brabazon Disney Sheils Thread- Advice/Opinions Required  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Update to Brabazon Disney Sheils Thread- Advice/Opinions Required
« on: Friday 10 January 20 17:39 GMT (UK) »
My previous thread concerning info on my 4x GG Brabazon Disney Sheils has been extremely helpful thanks to all who offered me suggestions and leads. I now require advice or an opinion on his rather odd "life" involving wife and children. Please bear with my re-cap of what I have discovered.

B.D. Sheils Esq.born about 1790. His Father was William Sheils, older brother Henry. Mother unknown but assuming maiden name was Disney? He owned and leased a lot of land at Newtown Darver, Louth as well . 1808 he is a 3rd lieutenant infantry for Louth. He was a Sherriff for several years after other "Shiels"men before him. He was a Church Warden from 1819-1829 CoI in Mansfieldtown, Louth. He sat on juries and even held a seat in the Dromiskin Parish up until 1841.

In 1839, his house and some offices on his estate caught fire and burned down. In 1843 he is now selling his estate all 702 acres. Dec 23, 1843 Drogheda Conservative Journal newspaper.

What I don't understand and need help with understanding is that he married Rose Rooney 11 March 1850 in both the Catholic church and had a civil marriage the same day. I just got access to his civil marriage record and his wife Rose was also 60 years of age when they married. Prior to this I found 2 baptism records for his children, Henry Sheils, 19 June 1823 and my 3x GG Mother Elizabeth Anne 02 May 1823 in the Parish of Darver, Catholic church records on line. Rose Rooney listed as Mother. She was Catholic and Brabazon was C of I. I know of 2 other daughters of Brabazon and Rose, Rosa who married in 1850 in Dundalk, Louth and Martha Emily who married in Dublin in 1858.

Why would this couple him CoI and her Catholic, have children then wait so many years to marry? If he was so wealthy and established as a gentleman, in those times, wouldn't that be considered a very careless way to provide and protect his wife and children regarding inheritance and what was and wasn't acceptable during those times? He died on  20 January 1855 in Blackrock, Louth but can't find a death record if one and nothing about his passing except a small snippet in a newspaper that just advised date of death.

Being from Canada I'm not familiar with the history or customs of those times and was wondering if anybody could offer some opinions on this couple.  Time to give up and move on but I can't let this go without trying to figure out why they didn't marry when the babies started arriving back in 1814?

Any suggestions or opinions I would greatly appreciate. Not sure how I feel about my 4x GG at the moment.
Thanks in advance,

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Update to Brabazon Disney Sheils Thread- Advice/Opinions Required
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 20 17:42 GMT (UK) »
*Sorry, made a typo, Henry Sheils his son was born in 1814 and Elizabeth Anne 1823.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 20 17:56 GMT (UK) »

Previous thread....

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=818183.msg6805242#msg6805242

I reckon they married on the quiet just before leaving the country!

It was acceptable to many for a wealthy Landowner to have children with the Maid, Servant etc etc.....but taboo for a non R.C. landlord to marry one.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Brabazon D. Sheils died 20 January 1855 in Blackrock, Louth according to newspaper snippet but no death record or idea where he is laid to rest. There is a family plot at the Mansfieldtown Churchyard. Was there something going on in and around 1843 that would make them leave the country? Never thought of that possibility!!! thanks Hallmark!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 January 20 18:29 GMT (UK) »

Am only speculating....but it certainly would not have gone down well with the extended family!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 January 20 18:57 GMT (UK) »

There was a Link posted on other thread

C Reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for Sheils of Ardee   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ob0/

the Marriage Cert Image is now online..you might find siblings but my suspicious mind is about the handwriting itself....and being the only one on the page!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 January 20 19:00 GMT (UK) »

Going for food now....don't have time to look at Registrar's writing on other Certs.

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 January 20 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Hallmark! Have great weekend!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 January 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »

Did the NLI give you any help?