Author Topic: How do you store your old photos?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How do you store your old photos?
« on: Friday 10 January 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have been looking for ages to find the ideal album and way of storing all my old photos. I ideally want a way of displaying them that allows some kind of labeling in the album itself or on a sleeve etc (obviously not labeling the front of the photo) and also want to mark the back in pencil. If that makes sense. I currently have a black paged album with the photos attached using photo corners, but I’m open to all kinds of ideas and suggestions!

Please share with me your ideas, it’s much appreciated thanks
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: How do you store your old photos?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
What about the standard ones with a sheet of transparent film over each page? Every charity shop seems to have them.

Martin

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 20 21:44 GMT (UK) »
The albums with transparent sheets can play havoc with the emulsion on photographs and should be avoided.

It also depends on what you mean by “old photographs”. Old monochrome ones comprise a paper base with silver oxide emulsion whereas more modern monochrome and colour photographs have a plastic base.

Ideally, photos should be stored in boxes interleaved with archival paper but this isn’t necessarily the most convenient way if you want to refer to them regularly. It’s probbaly worth scanning them and making the scan your reference copy.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 20 23:14 GMT (UK) »
What about the standard ones with a sheet of transparent film over each page? Every charity shop seems to have them.

Martin

Definitely not, unless you want to ruin the photograph. That's probably why there are so many in charity shops!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 January 20 03:05 GMT (UK) »
If by “old photographs” you mean really old photographs,
Scan them and compile a printed book with labels and notes as you wish
Then put the originals in a fire proof box, interleaved with acid free paper

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 January 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for some of the ideas, much appreciated. The pictures are a mixture mainly, 1940’s, 50’s, 60’s.

It’s finding a way to show them in an album, and be able to list who’s in the pictures etc
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 January 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I provided my mother, many years ago, after they'd moved house and with difficulty I'd avoided her actually throwing a drawer full of old photos out, with some large loose-leaf folders, lots of punched sheets of black card to fit, zillions of photo corners, and some lovely silver pens to write lots of information about each of the photographs bulging from a huge drawer, where I'd no idea who they all were. I stressed how important it was, as OH's mum, in a bit of a tantrum, had binned every family photograph they had, with glee, a few years before. The only one of OH's childhood that survived was one I'd borrowed and forgotten to return, so I was glad about that, at least.
After a few weeks she proudly announced that she'd finished the first volume .... all the childhood photos of me, carefully labelled with age (often in months) and location on the black card beneath each image!!!!!!!
(I did manage to coax her later onto the older pics that I'd actually wanted her to identify and label, but she was so much more proud of her first completed book of them.)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 January 20 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Just don't - whatever you do - use the adhesive plastic binders. I have decided that I need to prune out some of my holiday photos and the ones in that type of album are there forever. You can't remove the ones you want from the album. So, I can't do anything with them.

Decisions to be made- do I keep the rubbish ones, along with the better ones, or do I get rid of the lot? (Basically, the people photos are the ones I want to keep, but they are well and truly stuck!)

FS

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 January 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I don’t advise the see through plastic film used in albums. We’ve just found many albums which are over 40 years old when my sister moved. Unfortunately we can’t remove the see through film to try and work out what’s on the back of the photos to try and work out when taken. Any that we have manage to peel off the film, we found that the back of the photo has stuck to the area where they were placed under the film. I was keen to try and do screenshots on some old photos but get a reflection where the film can’t be removed.
Good luck in your quest.
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough