Author Topic: Whittlesey  (Read 516 times)

Offline colette43

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whittlesey
« on: Monday 13 January 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have noticed a post dated 2018 about not being able to identify Fish Street, Whittlesey, as I have a reference to ancestors living in that street in 1829, and aware of the issue. For me, the relevant name is Goude a Dutch Protestant/Huguenot? name which is prevalent in Whittlesey compared to elsewhere. I have seen the name Giddings which is mentioned in that post also in parish registers for Whittlesey St Mary and the job descriptions navigator and excavator in that post would seem to connect to the drainage of the fens which is why, I understand, the Dutch Protestants, were there. I would be glad to receive any comments about this that is the location of Fish Street in Whittlesey, any Goude family connections in Whittlesey. :)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whittlesey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 20 22:21 GMT (UK) »
There is still a Parish Church in Whittlesey. Going through the Parish registers, Births, Marriages and Deaths would be good way to see if there is a Fish Street ever mentioned. No Fish Street mentioned would mean possibly there was no Fish Street. Other than P.R.'s I am devoid of thought. Register still in the Church or at the Record Office?

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 20 23:00 GMT (UK) »

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 January 20 23:30 GMT (UK) »
In 2018 someone was asking about the same street on the Facebook page for Whittlesey Museum. Unfortunately there have been no replies, but I would suggested emailing the museum instead. It might be that those with the most knowledge of the town don't use Facebook. Like a lot of small museums it might have documents in storage because it can't display everything at once. It might be kind to offer a donation to the museum.

This is the post on Facebook. I have removed the name of the person who posted it, because I wasn't sure if I needed to or not.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »