Author Topic: Hay Family, Lesbury, Northumberland  (Read 1019 times)

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hay Family, Lesbury, Northumberland
« on: Monday 13 January 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my family back on Ancestry and I have hit a block with William Hay born around 1732, in Lesbury, Northumberland.  He isn't showing up any hints but the information I have for him is:

Birth: Around 1732 (giving to me by a cousin who is researching)
Marriage: Mary Grey - 30th September 1766
Burial:     30th October 1816

I have the following information on his son (my ancestor):

William John Hay (1772 - 1816) and Isabella Darling (1772 - 1856) (can't find marriage details.
His father on his baptism (3rd Feb 1772) was William Hay (no mother's name)

The family lived in Lesbury, Northumberland.  I am drawing blanks on My Heritage, Find my Past and Ancestory so I wondered where else I could look in order to get more information on the father William.  I have been given the wife's name of Mary Gray, who comes from the Gray family of Morwick and Howick but don't want to link them until I'm sure I have the correct William.

Also, some of the documents on My Heritage and Find my Past are recording the son as John William Hay (1772 - 1816) so I'm not sure if they transcribe the name differently or if there are two parallel families.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is frustrating for me not being able to determine William Hay.

Lynn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hay Family, Lesbury, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 20 21:11 GMT (UK) »
William Hay and Mary Grey married at Warkworth:https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5aa6d5d0f493fd1171df0510/mary-grey-william-hay-marriage-northumberland-warkworth-1766-09-30?locale=en
The record gives her abode as Morwick which fits with the information you have been given.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
I havent looked at any Trees so just going with my own research.

You quote Isabella Darling/Hay as 1772-1856.
I cant see her on 1851 Census with that dob?

I can find Bapts to William John/Isabella 1807-1818

I note on this one it says;
MARGARET 07 Jun 1807 Lesbury, Parents William John Hay and Isabella Darling
Full name given as Margaret Darling**; mother's abode Westwood in or near the Parish of Wooler
Then we have;
ANN 10 Nov 1811, illegitimate Daug
WILLIAM  11 Apr 1813, Natural Son
JOHN WILLIAM and CHARLES 15 Jun 1817, Natural sons, twins, father deceased

If born 1772 Isabella would be 45 when the Twins were born.
Not impossible but maybe unlikely.

Isabella Darling/John Clark
Marriage   
22/05/1824 Lesbury, Northumberland
Bachelor/Spinster

1841 in Warkworth we have;
John Clark   39 Publican
Isabella Clark 54

Burial;
21 Feb 1851 Warkworth, ISABELLA Clark age 66 (1785)

Ok now looked at a Tree;
Death for Isabella 1856
Not right wrong age; to young to have child in 1807;
HAY, ISABELLA age 59**** 
GRO Reference: 1856  S Quarter in ALNWICK UNION  Volume 10B  Page 159

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Bapt/Marriage on FreeREG,
Some Hay Bapts have William as Mr William Hay, abode Alemouth

1772 image may be hard to read as its been transcribed as William Junior Hay

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Will with codicil of William Hay, of Lesbury in the county of Northumberland, Gentleman. Proved 17 December 1816.
Here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZC9-LFN?cc=2358715

It was a administration with will annexed, here's the bond.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6X7S-HPP?i=45&cc=2353049

Administration for William John Hay, esquire, bachelor, of Alnmouth in the parish of Lesbury.
17 December 1816
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DHR3-T65?i=129&cc=2353049

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 20 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I see you havent replied Lynn have you looked through all of this?

Offline LynnMU1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 February 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
Sorry I haven't replied yet.  I decided to put these ones on hold and work through the Hays (and families) from William Charles (1846 - 1907) and Elizabeth Scott's children back to relations today.  I'm trying to make sure I have every birth, marriage, death and censuses and registers for each individual ... plus anything else I can find along the way. 

I thought if I can complete these people first then I can concentrate on the further ones back, which is the ones I'm more interested in. 

Having said that, I've come across another Hay family in the National School Admission Registers around the same time my Hay ancestors were named in it. The other family is from Morwick, mine from Acklington ... so I need to look closer into them.  ::)

I'll come back to your reply as soon as I can about Isabella Darling and William John Hay, once I've looked into them again. 

best wishes
Lynn

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 February 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Lynn.

I agree that working through later generations thoroughly is the way to go.
So many times people do not check everything as you are doing and get confused when researching pre 1837.

Trish :)

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi a quick suggestion
Berwick archives in the Library has a lot of information that might be if use to you.
there are a lot of Hays that crossed the Border in 1800,s my own were in Berwick Tweedmouth Ford
Alnwick Longframlington Bedlington Horton and other mining,farming villages  non of them as far as I can tell were related to your Hay,s