Author Topic: Wm Crathorn born c.1791, probably Kings Norton  (Read 602 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wm Crathorn born c.1791, probably Kings Norton
« on: Tuesday 14 January 20 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for anything I can find on the above William Crathorn. The only information I have is from the 1841 census return, when he and wife Catherine, 5 years hi senior, were living at Sladepool (Farm), Warstock.

Anything more would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wm Crathorn born c.1791, probably Kings Norton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Whythall Index doesn't have your William in it, but may help generally with CRATHORN(E).  See http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wythallindex/history/index.htm

Mike

About this useful resource:-

"WYTHALL INDEX

An attempt to collect the names of the people the parish of Wythall in the counties of

Worcestershire & Warwickshire and attempt to reconstruct the families. "
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
A couple of problems with this one.His surname can be spelt in various ways and another William Crathorn 1797-1854 a labourer living in Birmingham.

It looks like your William was baptised at Kings Norton 21.1.1785 son of Joseph and Ann Crawthorn.
His wife Catherine's death is registered  as Catharine Crathorne Kings Norton Dec 1849 and is age 70 years.
It looks like William 's was registered as Craythorne Dec 1850 in Solihull age 65 years.

There is a Will of 1851 for a William Crathorne who died 1850  of Holywood in the parish of Solihull Worcestershire  under £300.
He has no wife but mentions a lot of siblings.
John,Joseph,George and Edward
Elizabeth wife of Barnet Parkes ,Ann wife of John Kendrick?,Hannah wife of William Todd,Henrietta wife of Emmanuel Tusten and Sarah Crathorne.
Made 10 October 1850.

His siblings would match with the children of Joseph and Ann
John bapt as Eathorne at Handsworth St Mary 28.12.1774 ,married Elizabeth Parkes Mar 1797 St Phillips Birmingham and father of William 13.8.1797,Ann 21.7.1799,Thomas 28.6.1801,Elizabeth 5.6.1803,Mary 17.2.1805 Harriet 9.11.1806,Josiah 21.8.1808,John 11.3.1810 and Edwin 12.11.1811.(so father of the other William Crathorn).
Elizabeth married St Martin Barnet Parkes 25.7.1796 wit William Loupier and Sam Brooke,
Anne,
Hannah 29.4.1781 Kings Norton,married St Martins in the Fields William Todd 14.2.1803 wit James Greening and Martha Townsend.
Joseph 30.3.1783  KN, Buried 22.7.1860 St Mary Bham.
Charles 30.9.1786 KN,
Sarah 24.3.1788 KN,
Mary 21.6.1789 KN ,
Henrietta 9.7.1790 KN married St Phillip Bham 8.11.1838 Emmanuel Tusten ostler s of Thomas shoemaker.Her father Joseph farmer.
George 21.6.1791 KN
Francis 29.7.1793 KN
Edward 14.5.1797 KN

It looks like William married at St Phillips Birmingham Catharine Dudley 9.5.1822 .She signed he made a cross which matches with the Will.
wit Mary Ann Phillips and Michael Browne.

It looks like Joseph Crathorne married Ann Cliff at Handsowth St Mary 4 JAN 1774
He signed and she made a mark
wit Richard Bentley and John Homer

Joseph Cruthorn buried KN 22.5.1822 age 80 of Kings Heath
Ann buried 29.9.1841 age 89 of Kings Norton
Joseph's Will is over in Worcester at the Hive.Their grace is on Find a Grave .com

There is also a Will  for the other William Crawthorne 1854 under the Bp of Lichfield

It looks like grandparents may be John Crathorn and Hannah Nail married 9.4.1727 Handsworth St Mary.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you both for some brilliant research.

Like you, I had come across the different spellings of the name and again like you, I can find little or no direct evidence of this particular William, such as, for example, a marriage to a Catherine.

My specific interest in this man is his relationship to Sladepool Farm, where he was a tenant in 1841, as I am attempting to recreate the farm's history, so anyone who can contribute anything in that direction will also earn my gratitude.

Keith

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

You should also be looking at the Tithe map and apportionments.  It, hopefully, tell you what type of farming they were doing.  Arable, or whatever.

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that thought. I've not yet had chance to get to the library to examine the tythe maps and I'm hoping there will also be other relevant documents when  I do get there.

Keith