Author Topic: Thomas Flood born Ireland c 1857  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Flood born Ireland c 1857
« on: Wednesday 15 January 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information about my g grandfather Thomas Flood. I know he was born in Ireland c 1857 and died in Falkirk, Scotland on 5 Aug 1927. His parents were Patrick Flood, farm labourer and Ann Carlin. Thomas married MaryAnn McConnachie at St Margaret's Chapel, Kinning Park, in Glasgow on 31 Oct 1881 - both his parents are recorded as deceased. My mother seemed to remember her father saying the family originally came from Strabane Railway but that may just have been a red herring.
I know it is a long shot but someone may have come across the names in their trees. Many thanks

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Flood born Ireland c 1857
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »

Strabane Railway may have carried a lot of Herring but not sure what colour......   ;D

Have you looked through registers if they were R.C. ?

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Strabane+%28Diocese+of+Derry%29

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 January 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
No - I hadn't looked at them but will now. Strabane first - the world next :D

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
its going to be very difficult starting with Patrick Flood if he didn’t leave with his family he should be included in Griffiths Valuation of Ireland get dates
There are mention of 116  Patrick Flood’s in Ireland at time of Griffiths Valuation, here are the quantity per county, arranged by county. I have included all four of Donegal because of the strabane railway below and changed the most likely to be associated with that railway  to be in bold face, at railway
Teemore   Mullaghbrack   Armagh   1
Fahan St.,Derry   Templemore   Derry   1

Moyne   Shrule   Mayo   1
Sligo Vernon Street or The Rop   St. Johns   Sligo   1
Glenahilty   Ballygibbon   Tipperary   1
Somersvillestown   Urney   Tyrone   1
Ballysize Lower   Hollywood   Wicklow   1
Walkin Street Upper,Lyons   St. Canices   Kilkenny   2
Graigue (Sleaty St.)   Killeshin   Laois   2
Drumcroman   Oughterragh   Leitrim   2
Ardra   Clonsast   Offaly   2
Abbeytown   Roscommon   Roscommon   2
Ardnableask   Donegal   Donegal   4
Tawnaghlahan   Donegal   Donegal   4
Loughfad   Templecarn   Donegal   4
Tievemore   Templecarn   Donegal   4

Gowlin   St. Mullins   Carlow   5
Nemestown   Kilmore   Wexford   5
Ellagh   Killursa   Galway   6
Lissanisky   Shrule   Longford   7
Milltown   Pass of Kilbride   Westmeath   7
Mount Street, Lower   St. Peters   Dublin   14
Tipper, North   Tipper   Kildare   14
Village Of,Gormanston   Stamullin   Meath   14
Lislin   Mullagh   Cavan   23

lets check out the only Co Tyrone  based Patrick Flood
1858 map ref 2 in townland Somersvillestown in civil parish Urney   5 acres of land and house offices and land with ho valued at £1 pa. my guess is its over 2 miles sw of strabane
within 2 townlands from Clady and the urney road. Somerville runs through it],  The railway st strabane is right beside lifford on the north sise of the mourne river  A railwy map shows the strabane railway route from strababne goes south a little turning northwesterly to Letterkenny, however there is another link to via Clady to Stranorlar Co Donegalsee https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Athlone%2C_Cavan_%26_Clara._LetterKenny_Strabane_RJD_113.jpg so this Patrick is within walking distance of two railway stations possibly called the Strabane railway Co. the actual homestead showing on a map is available on Askireland. to fine the current appearance of the site go to current google map for the junction of Rabstown Road and Bellspark road an old gate is directly opposite the junction.i think the old house plot has been retained the white house with red/darl orange tiles has been bult over it. the older map1858 shows a presbyterian meeting house in Somervilletown  not Kennystown
however the Flood are more connected to the catholic church church nearest to Somersvilletown is Sion Mills I think i'm out of my comfot zone
I checked https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/flood and didn’t find  connection for patrick

Strabane Railway from BBC “Strabane actually had a railway before Belfast - reaching the town in 1845, from Londonderry. The largest rail junction in Ireland during the first half of 20th century, Strabane catered for 4 different railway companies: Great Northern Railway (which was broad gauge) and County Donegal Railways, the Strabane and Letterkenny Railway and the line to the Victoria Road, Derry (which were all narrow gauge).” Evoking memories of Strabane railway. if Patrick was on the staff he may have been moved  from tyrone to Derry Donegal or towards Belfast.

then to my astonishment I found 
 in the 1911 census
11 in Somervillestown (Urney, East, Tyrone)
Flood   Thomas   71 [ so b b~ 1830     Male   Head of Family   Roman Catholic   Co Tyrone   Farmer   Cannot read   -   Widower   -   -   -surely a relative of Patrick eg brother   

in the 1901 census-
2 in Summervillestown (Urney, East, Tyrone)
Flood   Thomas   52 so b~1848   Male   Head of Family   Roman Catholic   Co Tyrone   Farmer   Cannot read   -   Widower   -
Flood   John   70   Male   Brother   Roman Catholic   Co Tyrone   -   Cannot read   -   Widower   -

not being able to read and being employed on the railway must have been difficult. however as far as the family tree goes,  18 years difference between brothers is becoming scarce  but they could be three brothers
 with two of them uncles to Thomas b 1857  however if you cant read your speech memory might be limited on dates etc

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRV7-ZYW is the death in 1913 of a Thomas Flood reg in strabane aged 74 ie b 1839

the 1901 and 1911 census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ anyway contain Carlin living in Clady and mountfield  another warmer for my thoughts
what do you think of your family connecting to Somervillestown?
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 20 18:28 GMT (UK) »
You have given me a lot of food for thought here BallyaltikilliganG. Thank you so much for all the information. I know Thomas Flood was illiterate from the censuses in Scotland. The Somersvillestown connection is interesting as I found the remains of one of the earlier censuses had a Patrick Flood with his wife Ann in Co. Tyrone. I shall dig deeper.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 14:33 GMT (UK) »
There are two wills of interest -- one for Patrick Flood in 1860 and one for his wife Ann in 1867 -- both of Newtownhamilton (innkeepers).  The one for Ann names her three sons, John, Thomas and James, and two daughters, Anna Maria and Emily.

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=161267

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=154944

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Eileen. I don't think they are my relatives as Patrick was a farm labourer according to his son Thomas' death certificate. As Thomas was illiterate I somehow doubt his parents would be running an inn. I didn't know about the wills link so many thanks indeed for that. I am only just beginning to find my way around the various Irish resources open to me.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 19:12 GMT (UK) »

"...mother seemed to remember her father saying the family originally came from Strabane Railway..."

Could she have meant Railway Road (P.O.) (Strabane)

??

Carlin there

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Strabane/Railway_Road__P_O__/

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Falkirkbairn01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
I did find Railway Road (PO) earlier and did see it as a strong possibility but kept looking at Floods rather than Carlins.