Author Topic: Graveyards in old sarum/Stratford under Castle  (Read 851 times)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Graveyards in old sarum/Stratford under Castle
« on: Friday 17 January 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi, after researching my Blake ancestors from this area for a long time I've decided to visit.
As I know how difficult it is to find and or read old tombstones, I wonder if there is records anywhere.?
Mainly it is James Blake and Alice brinsdon/brunsdon I'm looking for and I'm sure they are buried in the church in old sarum. Is it St lawerence?
I will only be there for a couple of days in March so need some help in locating them

Thanks Elaine

Offline JEB01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyards in old sarum/Stratford under Castle
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 January 20 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

I lived in Salisbury for a good many years, and know this church (it is St Lawrence's). The cemetery is quite extensive, with a good number of WW1 graves.

Its a nice area to walk round, and is just at the foot of Old Sarum hill fort, but to find out details of burials I suggest you contact Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham SN15 3QN. Tel 01249 705500. Closed on Sunday and Monday.

They will have whatever records there are of burials at St Lawrence's church.

The staff are friendly and helpful, and will answer simple enquiries without charge, or you can pay a modest fee and they will do some proper research for you.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Graveyards in old sarum/Stratford under Castle
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 January 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that, I will definitely contact them next week.
A long time ago someone told me that he (James Blake) was moved from the front of the graveyard and relocated to the rear. I've often wondered why in that was true.
I'll post how I get on after I've contacted them, maybe it will help someone else.
Elaine