Author Topic: Charles WILSON Sarah WATSON convict Sarah BOND Ireland Lincs Tas NSW Qld  (Read 6369 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles WILSON Sarah WATSON convict Sarah BOND Ireland Lincs Tas NSW Qld
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 January 20 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Online tree has baptism certificate (transcription)  NSW RC
Josephine Sarah WILSON  b. 24 Jul 1856  bapt. 4 Aug 1856
Parents:    Charles WILSON    Sarah  BOND
Abode:     Goulburn Street
Godparents George BURNS    Catherine QUIGLEY

This baptism is registered as part of the Early Church Records with NSW BDM. 

If you look at NSW BDM online you will notice it is 1856, Volume 142A, line 926, WILSON Josephine S, Charles and Sarah and the pdf is readily available (so someone has recently sought the document - either one of the official transcribers or a direct order from a member of the general public etc).

If you try to 'drill down' on it you will discover the usual flaw in the software driving those Early Church Records... Any date in 1856 works.   the 'drill down' option is more reliable with it is used on official registrations,  ie not on anything with a 'V' in its registration number. 

But with Wivenhoe finding that transcription on an online tree ... Great Find, perhaps our OP can consider approaching that tree owner for sharing possibles... perhaps the tree owner may even consider joining RChat...  :D

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 January 20 02:34 GMT (UK) »
From City of Sydney Archives,  Assessment Books.

There was a chap, named as Charles WILSON, tenant at off 1 Athlone Place, in the Denison Ward.  The Owner or Landlord was William RUTLIDGE.  It was a House, with an annual value of £20 (the amount that the rates would be based on).   It was a Wood House (not of Brick or Stone or iron) and its roof was Shingled.  There was just the one floor, and two rooms. 

William RUTLIDGE occupied (and owned) 11 Athlone Place.  A Brick house, 2 floors, 5 rooms.   William Rutlidge also owners off 2 Athlone Place, and 15 and 17, and he was also the owner of 13 Athlone Place, where a James WILSON was the tenant… 

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

http://archivesinvestigator.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/

and of course,  City of Sydney has the free to view Sands Directories too…
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory

WHY am I noticing Athlone Place … well … it is (to me) that Camperdown Cemetery (St Stephens) would be the logical cemetery for anyone dying who had that as their usual residence on a d.c. in that era.

http://gransdenfamily.com/camperdown-cemetery-and-athlone-place/

That link gives some background for a search for a different female but it may give some further understanding to the dilemma in searching NSW records in the years immediately after Gold was discovered…  So many people rushed out of the urban districts, so many people arrived from overseas ports, ‘transients’  so many ‘new’ accents sharing info, and no formal ID process required for any transactions of any kind.   And even those who remained in Sydney, when they recorded any of their BDM events,  they S C R I B B L E D in long hand, and it took until the 1930s for any concerned attempt to actually transcribe and index those BDM records…

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:55 GMT (UK) »

Where Sarah WATSON is 19 years old you might think that her memory of Dennis is clearer then her memory of eg. Edward, which would make looking for Dennis WATSON, transported 1841 +/- 1 years a better option that  looking for Edward or William.

Why do you dismiss the value of this suggestion?

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 January 20 03:11 GMT (UK) »
don't know why people said that
Thank you for finding that entry in the indents: https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/tas/search/detailnonmodal/ent:$002f$002fARCHIVES_DIGITISED$002f0$002fARCHIVES_DIG_DIX:CON15-1-2/one
images 88 & 89
I would have had a bit of trouble reading it without you.
I haven't had success with those names and dates yet as convicts for the brothers. How did you know the date of the entry? I take it you used the date of the voyage of the Waverley 15 Dec 1842 from image 51? I wonder how & why the sisters went to England. I did find a baptism of a possible candidate for her brother Edward:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633804#page/69/mode/1up
nli Catholic Parish Registers at the NLI:
Kingstown/ Microfilm 09071/ 01:
Register Information: Archdiocese of Dublin/ County of Dublin; 92 images; Baptisms 04 Dec. 1768 to 30 Dec. 1819; Marriages Dec. 1793 to Nov. 1819 Index and register Baptisms Nov. 1817 - Oct. 1819 missing
Filter: Baptisms 1807 May: Page 69 image e.g.
May 1807
13 Edward of James & Cathy? Watson; sps, Pat Doyle & Mary Redmond - - - Grange

About Tasmania and Argyle St & Old Wharf, are they essentially the same street?

I've been enjoying drilling down in the NSW records. I also found George in b 1852 (if they didn't come on the Africa) and Henrietta (Herietta in her marriage) b in 1858 as possible children of Charles and Sarah.
The only date that I found something useful in trove for was for the death of Sarah Ann Wilson, who seems to have married a C. J. Wilson.
WILSON SARAH; 9287/1913; CHARLES; SARAH; GOULBURN; Unavailable (refines to 11/06/1867 - 12/06/1867) (12 - 13 works & 10 - 11 doesn’t, so must be 12/06/1913) (see Tv 98853488 & 98853517)
Those trove entries (Goulburn Evening Penny Post 12 Jun 1913 pp. 2 & 3) didn't help much with her parents, but were interesting, giving her age (63y) and place of death.

I've decided to order the civil registration of Sarah's death. I'll also keep going through all your leads.
I don't know if it will help but thanks so much again to all.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 27 January 20 05:47 GMT (UK) »
About Tasmania and Argyle St & Old Wharf, are they essentially the same street?

No they are not, but the relevant thing is that when his occupation changes to a maritime one, he moves to the harbour area. I've seen the same with other Hobart folk.

M

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 27 January 20 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks (was just responding to this "ADD ... I forgot to explain  ::)  ::)  google street maps shows me that Argyle Street still runs down all the way to Constitution Dock...")
still plodding along slowly

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
got the certificate
It gets the prize for the least amount of information on a certificate!
The latest investigation topic is Charles Wilson on the Somersetshire.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
got the certificate
It gets the prize for the least amount of information on a certificate!
The latest investigation topic is Charles Wilson on the Somersetshire.

And the suspension is thicker than a brick wall .....  who was the informant?  What cemetery?  What else was recorded on the certificate...  :-X

(from reply # 30)  Sarah's death cert 1860.

JM

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »
It has month and place of death, her name, her sex, certified by the undertaker and someone else that I can't read, date of registration, date and place of burial, and witnesses that I can't read well. Is it ok to write them on here?