Author Topic: Will of Robert Fawkes 1595 Aston on Trent  (Read 874 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Will of Robert Fawkes 1595 Aston on Trent
« on: Saturday 18 January 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm on a bit of a roll ..

Does anyone have access to the above please, particularly for info on names, places, occupations etc?

Very many thanks
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Robert Fawkes 1595 Aston on Trent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am on the same quest as Designer Jeans, and there is a method to this "madness". The 1541 Breadsall will of Robert Fowke, which was partially transcribed on this site, mentions sons Thomas and William, with unnamed grandsons in Ockbrook. Robert Fawkes with the 1595 Aston on Trent will is in the right time frame to be a grandson of this first Robert, and could have been named after him. Our ancestor Thomas Fouke of Codnor, born by 1590, had sons Thomas and Robert, and thus by onomastics could be of this line, as a possible grandson, or even as a stretch a son of this Robert Fawkes of Aston on Trent with the 1595 will. Thomas Fouke of Codnor had associations with the Church of St. Lawrence in Heanor, being a substitute churchwarden there in 1613, with members of the Piggin family being churchwardens in 1615 and 1626. The 1545 will of John Fowke of Normanton, also transcribed on this site, has Vicar Oliver Piggin of Heanor as a witness and also a bequest to the church there, while in 1583 John Piggin and Thomas Fowke are among the purchasers of the manor of Ockbrook. Thus we have Fowke connections in and around Derby and Heanor, with Piggin connections to Normanton in Derby, Ockbrook, and Heanor. The will of Robert Fawkes of Aston-on-Trent was probated on Oct. 9, 1595, and is on findmypast, if anyone has a subscription to it, Please.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
I can't see the actual will on FindMyPast. There's seems to be only the listing in the Calendar of Wills and an entry in the Act Books , which just records the grant of probate and doesn't even name the executor. It may be there under an odd spelling or mistaken date but I've tried all the strategies I can think of to get round that to no avail.

I see there's a will for a Margett Fowke of Ockbroke in 1542, if that's any use. It's not very legible but she appears to have sons John and Robert and daughters Hisbell and Johan, maried to Rauffe Haucke.

David

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 January 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for trying David, it is frustrating when items are listed, but then can't be accessed.  It is particularly disappointing as this will ticks boxes in terms of location, time period and name. 

Margaret's will is a bonus, thank you for taking the time and trouble to check if for me.  Every tiny clue is most welcome.

Best wishes
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 January 20 18:05 GMT (UK) »
May I too add a Thank You So Much for your help, David, my ancestor Thomas Fowke of Holmgate, North Wingfield, was a persecuted Quaker in the 17th century, as I believe your ancestral family was also.
What you have found is a help in connecting the SE Derbyshire Fowke family of the 16th and 17th centuries, because a John Fowke of Ockbrook has a 1540/41 will, and may very well be the husband of Margaret 1542 there. There is also a 1548 will for a John Fowke of Ockbrook, their son? Her son Robert of course matches that personal name in my branch of the family, and there may be a connection to places around Wirksworth that you found, because her daughter Johan was married to Rauffe Haucke (Faucke?), and there is a Ralph (Raphe) Fowke (Foucke in will) of Ashleyhay with a 1590 will, wife Anne, sons John and Richard, daughters Helen and Margerie, who may very well be the son of that Rauffe and Johan, or else the original Rauffe with a second wife by 1590. Besides this, a Rauffe Fowke is a witness to the 1573 will of Roger Fowke of Alderwasley, and in addition to that, a Robert Fowke with a 1541 Breadsall will has grandchildren in Ockbrook. So there are very interesting possible Fowke connections between Ockbrook, the Wirksworth area, and Breadsall, and your generous aid is very greatly appreciated!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 January 20 18:37 GMT (UK) »
and an entry in the Act Books , which just records the grant of probate and doesn't even name the executor.

The entry in the Probate Act Book names the relict and executrix as Jocosa, which may be translated as 'Joyce'.

Test(amentu)m Roberti ffawkes p(ar)och(ie) de Aston sup(er) Trent defuncti p(er)
Jocosam eius relict(am) executricem iurat(am) coram Richardo
Sale R(e)c(t)ore de weston sup(er) Trent

The will of Robert Fawkes of the parish of Aston upon Trent, deceased, for Joyce his relict, the executrix, who was sworn before Richard Sale, Rector of Weston upon Trent.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 January 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox. I was a bit hasty there, I couldn't make out half the words but assumed Jocosam wasn't a name as there was no surname.

David

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Well, I guess it's marginally better than nothing. Maybe the record office can advise on the will itself?

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 January 20 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not all wills have survived the same applies to Marriage Bonds,  with regard to Wills this May be
Of assistance:-

https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=C

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.