Author Topic: Is it possible to find out names of all people born on specific date? (Māori)  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to find out names of all people born on specific date? (Māori)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 January 20 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Tikva
The date concerned is the 9th of July 1900, and this information was obtained from his death record. 

Hi again... just curious... is this the 1980 NGATA death record. If so, have you seen his Army service record on Archives NZ. It mentions his father.

Regards
Beg

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to find out names of all people born on specific date? (Māori)
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 January 20 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tikva.

Been on holiday, and my phone would not co-operate, and allow me to comment upon your thread.

Now home, my question is, have you consulted the web pages of the WHAKAPAPA CLUB?

It has been of some help to me, but their forum pages appear to have been more active, in the past.

https://www.whakapapaclub.nz/

There is also a crown web site called, Maori Land online, which when you have a few names, can offer info back to the members of the various family groups. The search tool on that site is very good, because when the Maori Land Courts were hearing land claims etc, there was no one standard format, to the way Maori parents choose to record their childrens names, in a written form. Plus many adopted "Christian" names, when being batpised. Therefore all known aka's were listed, and are searchable.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 January 20 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Tgapitbull
I am looking for the birth of my grandfather who was born on 28 April 1890.

Hello Tgapitbull...

I've just sent you two PMs - one a list of 29 male births registered on 28 Apr 1890, the other a list of 143 male births registered three days either side. These were found on the BDM NZ website using the method I described in my earlier reply.

For what it's worth, you may want to cross-reference the relevant BDM NZ microfiche and keep an eye out for annotations. I'm pretty sure the website is a subset of the fiche, not a substitute for.

Hope this helps.

---

Hello Tikva...

Apologies for the thread hi-jack but it seemed the obvious place to post what is a roundabout answer to your original question, the answer being "Yes it is possible".

You can either leave this reply for future researchers with the same question or ask one of the mods to delete it to keep your thread tidy (but please not before Tgapitbull acknowledges this reply).

Either is fine by me.

Regards
Beg

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 January 20 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Beg for the 2 x PMs which I will work through and cross check as you suggest.  A visit to the local library will be required but will have to wait until next week as I have other commitments this week.

Good luck Tikva with your search.

Tgapitbull

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 January 20 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Last resort I have recently sent off a DNA test - fingers crossed!

Hi again TPB... you might already realise but in the search for your grandfather your DNA won't really help all that much.

Is there a direct male descendant of your grandfather who can take a test.

Regards
Beg

PS - Apologies again Tikva :-)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 January 20 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Re DNA test - only a great grandson.

TPB

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 January 20 08:18 GMT (UK) »
... a great grandson.

Perfect. Swab him :-)

Tikva - third and last time... my apologies :-)

Regards
Beg

Offline mdkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 February 20 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried using the familysearch.org website?  You can narrow a search down to a particular year, country and type (ie births), and the first names of the parents, without needing the exact spellings or even a surname at all.  Familysearch will give you the electronic registration number, which you can then use to narrow down a particular date on nzbdm.