Author Topic: Michael Cook Mariner  (Read 1938 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Michael Cook Mariner
« on: Saturday 20 August 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details of Michael Cook Mariner/Sailor and his wife Susannah both born Heybridge, Essex circa 1800. I know that they lived in Filey possibly Gristhorpe area between 1840 and 1866 when Susannah died. She was living with her son John and his family. As there is no address on her death certificate I can't be more specific. If anyone has access to the 1841 or 1851 census for the area I would be very grateful if they could look for the family for me. :) Mags

Offline lizziedrip

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Cook Mariner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 08:20 BST (UK) »
Found this on 1851 HO107/2368 46 Only the Index.

Susannah Cook 49 Mountnesson Ess
Susannah Cook 12 Weybridge  Ess

The above are the only 2 Cooks living in this household.
My email address is no longer working sorry
Adamson,St.Paul,Crawford,Rankmore,Walmsley,Potts,Stephenson,Waters.
Yorkshire,Somerset.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 09:06 BST (UK) »
I know you were interested in earlier censuses but sometimes later ones also have useful information.

1861 census RG9 3615 folio 52
Gristhorpe  Yorkshire
John Cook 27  Heybridge, Essex, Head Married Cordwainer
Jane Cook 30? Ovingham, Yorkshire,  Wife   
Laurenza (or is it Susanna?) Cook 6  Filey, Yorkshire, Daughter 
Mary Ann Cook 4  Gristhorpe, Yorkshire,  Daughter   
Jane Cook 2  Gristhorpe, Yorkshire, Daughter 
Susannah Cook 60  London, Middlesex,  Mother Widow
Hannah Deighton 65  Bridlington, Yorkshire, Aunt  Unmarried

RG9 3619 folio 10
8 York Place Scarborough  Yorkshire 
Susan Cook 23  Haybridge, Essex, General Servant

From FreeBMD a possible birth registration for Susannah (Heybridge is in Maldon registration district)

Cook, Susanna
Record Type:    Births
Quarter:    September
Year:    1838
District:    Maldon
County:    Essex
Volume:    12
Page:    138 

Two death registrations for a Michael Cook on FreeBMD (an incomplete index) but Cook is a common surname and this is before the age is given on the death index.

COOK, Michael 1844 June Deaths Scarborough
COOK, Michael 1858 June Deaths Scarborough

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda :D

I haven't really got much information on the Cook family. All I knew was that Susanna married Michael Cook but didn't know when or where. As her children were born in Heybridge I presume it must have been around that area. Her daughter Lucy married Robert Chew in 1845 in Filey so the Susanna you found may have been Lucy's sister.  As for Michael he is described on Susanna's death certificate as a sailor so I have been trying to find out as much as I can about the ships that sailed out of Filey or Heybridge where the children were born. So far I have found very little only that goods such as coal, iron etc. were transported around the coast.

The Susan Cook you identified on the 1861 census does appear to be Lucy's sister (but I will check it out) the eery thing is that one branch of another family I am researching lived at 8 York Place but in Plymouth!!!

Thanks once again for all your help. I will let you know if I find anything more about Michael and Susanna.

Regards

Mags

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

The reference does seem to be the right Susanna and it clearly identifies her as being born in Mountnessing which is near Heybridge. This combined with the information from Valda about Susanna and Susan links in nicely with the little information I have so far about the family. Now all I need to do is find Michael and/or his death. Thanks once again I really appreciate all the help that you have both given me.

Regards

Mags :D

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 20:20 BST (UK) »
If the 1838 birth registration for Susanna is correct the certificate would give you her mother's maiden name. If they were still in Heybridge in 1841 it might be worth requesting a look up on the Essex board. If the family were there (even if Michael is away at sea) you might find further children.

Regards
Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

That's a good idea I think I will send for the birth certificate for her today. Regards Mags :)