Author Topic: Has anyone else deleted their GEDMATCH account?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anyone else deleted their GEDMATCH account?
« on: Wednesday 22 January 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I found their new acceptance form so unclear, and a page wasn't loading so I thought best to just delete my account completely.  I have never really found Gedmatch useful anyway.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else deleted their GEDMATCH account?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 23:32 GMT (UK) »
No, I have not deleted my account.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 20 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I found their new acceptance form so unclear, and a page wasn't loading so I thought best to just delete my account completely.  I have never really found Gedmatch useful anyway.

Yeah, I did too. For the same reasons as you, really. Seemed unclear and I found my matches on gedmatch far too obscure anyway for it to be useful to me or worth persisting with.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
I also deleted, I never used it so there didn't seem much point in having it.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
No, I haven't deleted my account. I found the terms and conditions tedious but fairly clear.

I haven't found it useful at all for one to many matches, but it is handy if/when I can persuade Ancestry matches to upload there to see where we match. Also to compare one to one with others who might be expected to match with me, e.g. known 4th cousins from paper records who don't turn up as matches.

I'm leaving mine there for the moment.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
No, exactly the opposite, not only have I not deleted my account I have added a further 8 data sets.

My experience is many people seem to think if they take a test through Ancestry they will be provided with their full family tree.
The test is only the start of the journey and hours of work has to go in to provide results, the more time and effort one invests the more results and more accurate results are returned.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:02 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't and I've found it very helpful as I've linked with people from other sites to confirm much of my father's family. ;D
GEDmatch M157477

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Guy, I spend many hours each day researching my family history and my DNA results at Ancestry.

However, persuading anyone to upload anywhere else is very difficult, I find.

If only Ancestry had a chromosome browser, but they have no intention if providing one at present, if ever.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:27 GMT (UK) »
No, haven't deleted them.  Several cousins have uploaded there and once you have some known matches working out links to others becomes so much easier.

Last year a new match appeared at Gedmatch to several known relatives who are descended from two siblings whose parents married in Scotland in 1815.  One branch of the match's tree stopped at a gt-grandmother, so I purchased her gt-grandmother's marriage record from ScotlandsPeople.  The mother of the bride, Euphemia, had the same surname as the siblings born after 1815. 

To cut a long story short the mother of the bride was from the village where the groom from our family was residing when he married in 1815, which was about 10-15 miles from his birthplace, and we now know that Euphemia was his niece. 

This match was not at all apparent at Ancestry because the shared segments were small (under 20cM) so there weren't shared matches.  All our family dominated her top 15 matches and we wouldn't (and hadn't) have spotted this easily at Ancestry. 

The link was worked out within 48 hours of her uploading.