Author Topic: Victorian birth - Valerie Margaret Anne GUNTON  (Read 701 times)

Offline WendysWillmottResearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victorian birth - Valerie Margaret Anne GUNTON
« on: Saturday 25 January 20 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find birth records for Valerie Margaret Anne Gunton who I believe was born in 1943.  She died on 31 May 1976 and at the time had the surname Beetz.  EDIT:  sorry birth was probably earlier than 1943 as she had a 15 year old son when she died in 1976.

I've tried Ancestry, Trove, BDM (can't access births since 1920).  I have found her Will and Probate file number on PROV, but not sure if her date of birth would be in those records in any event. 

Thanks
Wendy

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian birth - Valerie Margaret Anne GUNTON
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The most likely reason you cannot find it would be that she was born less than 100 years ago, and therefore the registration is on restricted access.

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/access-to-registry-information/information-is-restricted-for-specific-periods

Hi,

I am trying to find birth records for Valerie Margaret Anne Gunton who I believe was born in 1943.  She died on 31 May 1976 and at the time had the surname Beetz.  EDIT:  sorry birth was probably earlier than 1943 as she had a 15 year old son when she died in 1976.

I've tried Ancestry, Trove, BDM (can't access births since 1920).  I have found her Will and Probate file number on PROV, but not sure if her date of birth would be in those records in any event. 

Thanks
Wendy

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:09 GMT (UK) »
The Vic BDM online index has her age at death as 33.   Ref no. 23883/1976.  That record will likely have a great deal of detail about her, and about her marriage and offspring and about her parentage.

1976 - 33 = 1943 +- 1 year. 

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

ADD
Her parents marriage is included in the Vic BDM online index, in 1939.

Her father was acquitted of a serious criminal charge in 1943. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206363880 19 August 1943 The Age.

Her mother died in 1951, the d.c. is included in the Vic BDM online index.  I would expect Valerie's name and age to be included on that record.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline WendysWillmottResearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I have now got her Death Certificate which confirms she was born in 1943, but still doesn't give a date.

Wow - thanks for the additional info about her parents.  Much appreciated.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:40 GMT (UK) »
If Valerie May Gunton is the daughter of Mervyn Thomas Gunton and Dorothy nee Heath, you should be aware that there are some details on Trove Feb 1943 regarding her father. His WW2 record is closed for this reason.
ADD: this information has now been posted.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 January 20 06:45 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure why you need the exact date, but if it is simply to include on a family tree using any software programming, then I am sure if you enter 01.01.1943 that would be a sensible solution. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 January 20 07:03 GMT (UK) »
If Valerie May Gunton is the daughter of Mervyn Thomas Gunton and Dorothy nee Heath, you should be aware that there are some details on Trove Feb 1943 regarding her father. His WW2 record is closed for this reason.
ADD: this information has now been posted.

Many of the WWII records are not yet examined.  His AIF file in the B883 series has been examined and access is open with exception. The decision was made in August 2009.    The record is NOT closed.   The exception is referenced 33 (1) (g). That exception indicates that a part of the file remains closed as if open it would unreasonably disclose information about the personal affairs of a person.   

When I added to my post earlier, (prior to reply # 3)   I had particularly and carefully gone through Trove to determine the outcome of the trial that I had noticed in those papers.  And so I chose to post the information about the outcome, rather than about the sensationalised reporting of the hearings prior to the acquittal. 

The WWII file itself may well have information, including correspondence to the Department that may give Valerie's dob, particularly as she would have been a young girl when her mum died in 1951.  So only a part of his B883 file is not on open access.   Dorothy was his nok as per barcode  1010873.   

Wendy, if you are needing further details about the WWII war service, may I suggest you contact the naa.gov.au here to ask for further assistance, explaining the reason/s for the request : https://www.naa.gov.au/help-your-research/ask-us-about-collection

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/Veteran.aspx?serviceId=A&veteranId=504552
He was discharged 4 July 1944. 

JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 January 20 07:15 GMT (UK) »
From ryersonindex

Mervyn GUNTON, aged 80, death 14 Sept 2001  Herald Sun, 17 September 2001. 

http://ryersonindex.org/index.htm

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 January 20 09:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a death notice in The Weekly Times:
Date listed: 17/9/2001
GUNTON. - Mervyn. Passed away 10.25 a.m. Sept. 14, 2001 aged 80 years.  The notice has excellent details of family members.
https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/tributes/notice/3471208/

Mervyn's body was cremated at Fawkner
GUNTON   Mervyn Thomas   30/06/1921   14/09/2001   Fawkner Memorial Park           Cremation   18/09/2001
http://www.gmct.com.au/deceased-search.aspx

Judith

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk