Author Topic: William Combe (Combs) and variants son of Samuell  (Read 456 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Combe (Combs) and variants son of Samuell
« on: Sunday 26 January 20 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Oxford Chatters

I find myself in new territory regarding research. I am researching William Combs of London. He was a Barber Surgeon and in 1711 his father Samuell/Samuel paid a whopping five pounds (over 500 in today's money) to apprentice his son to George Collup Citizen and Barber-Surgeon of London. It is stated on the Indenture that Samuel was a Labourer so that was definitely some feat to come up with that kind of money.

The indenture also states Samuel was of Checkingden in the County of Oxford. Presumably Checkendon but I have not found any Comb/Combs/Combes etc. in Checkendon. I looked at the original records but they only go from 1720. I was hoping to find Samuel's death. Then I looked on Family Search. The batch number is C024392 and runs from 1639 - 1813. I assume these are the BTs but not one Combe(s) appeared.

After his apprenticeship was completed William got his own apprentice in 1720. This was Henry Simons the son of William Simons a Maltster of Henley. So I thought I would look there but found no parish records for Henley (on Thames) on Family Search. Is this really the case? There is no batch number for Henley. Does it come under another place?

I was working on the theory that Henry Simons might be a relative of William Combes, maybe a nephew. William did well for himself and married a young woman who was minted. Money, Stocks and a half share in three houses according to her Uncle John's Will. 

I  have searched on Family Search, FindMyPast and Ancestry and cannot find William son of Samuel.  I am wondering if the father's name is not correct on the indenture as William did not name any son of his Samuel. But he tried three times to name a daughter Elizabeth.

Any ideas/information gratefully received.

Venelow
Canada