Author Topic: Baptised on the Isle of Wight?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
Baptised on the Isle of Wight?
« on: Wednesday 29 January 20 09:44 GMT (UK) »
The name I'm looking for is Cynthiney (or a variation) ORTON, born c. 1800.   Her parents were Susannah/Sukey and Edward ORTON.   The family came from Nuneaton and I can see five children baptised there before Cynthiney and four baptised afterwards.   The gap is from 9th December 1795  to 26th June 1803.

In the 1841 census Cynthiney's birth pace was Warwickshire but I'm guessing that information was given by her husband.   By 1851 she was a widow.   In that census and also 1861, 1871 and 1881 she said she was born on the Isle of Wight.

I've looked on Ancestry, Find My Past and the IGI with no success.   If anyone can do better I'd be really grateful!

Diana
Hakes - Piddington, Northants; Bucks
Hillyard, Lebatt & Bodsworth - Piddington, Northants
Bonner - Warwickshire & Leicestershire
Caughlin - Clonmore Co. Wicklow/Carlow
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent
Oliver, Davies & James - Pembrokeshire
Green, Enser, Oldham, Bramman, Billings & Watmough - Nottinghamshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptised on the Isle of Wight?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I haven't looked for you yet, but just to say I have been doing some transcribing for familysearch recently, and Isle of Wight parish records are one of the record sets being worked on and are nearly complete. Not sure if this is the only time they have been transcribed or when they will be released.

This shows the state of play as at today
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking at the Isle of Wight Family History Society?
https://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/

Click on Databases, then BMD Indexes ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has this transcription ???
Cynthia Orton bpt 26 Jul 1801, St Nicholas, Bristol,
Parents: Edward & Susanna Orton

ADDED:#1 AH I see that there is the following Leicestershire baptism which conflicts so probably the above is the wrong family, though Cynthia IS a fairly unusual name for the time and she may not have been a young baby at baptism.
Mary Orton bpt 28 Oct 1801 Earl Shilton,Leicester
Parents: Edward & Susanna Orton

The original record is only viewable for Cynthia on ancestry.

ADDED#2 What was Edward's occupation?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 11:29 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have the image for the Earl Shilton baptism - surname written as Orten

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your help.   Earl Shilton is certainly a lot closer to Nuneaton that the Isle of Wight!   I will take a look in just a mo.   Cynthia was certainly how her name was transcribed on some of the census returns.   I've no idea where the name originated but it's not an easy one if you don't already know it so I imagine the enumerators wrote what sounded plausible to them.   She was Symphony on one census.   Unfortunately I don't know what her father did for a living.   A lot of people in Nuneaton were weavers of one sort or another.   There were also brick makers but then the list of possibilities is endless.

Thank you all once again.

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Jones - Rushbury, Shropshire; Nuneaton & Birmingham, Warwickshire; Piddington & Northampton, Northants
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the Bristol & Earl Shilton baptism entries I think the Bristol baptism is the most likely.   The name is a close-ish match and I can't see that she appears in Bristol ever again.   I know that doesn't make it right but it's a working hypothesis.

I can see a marriage for Mary ORTON in Earl Shilton and her age on the 1861 census is about right so I think she can be ruled out.

Thank you all once again for your kind help.

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't thinking that Mary & Cynthia were the same person but that the couple could not have had two babies so close together unless as is possible, Cynthia was perhaps a year old when she was baptised.

From familysearch, if the Earl Shilton family are the correct one, it seems Ann was born May 1808 baptised Feb 1809 at 8-9 months old, so the couple did not always have their babies baptised soon after birth. Of the other children on familysearch only Isabel has birth/baptism dates & she was 3 months old at baptism.

Offline Penholder

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Archie & Ruby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey

Thank you for that extra information.   The Nuneaton family had four more children after Cynthiney, all baptised in Nuneaton.   I think that rules out Earl Shilton since the couple there were having different children at more or less the same time.   At the moment I am going with the Bristol baptism although with a big health warning that it is only supposition and not proven.

Kind regards,

Diana
Muzzell - Sussex
Penhorwood - Devon
Shutt - Devon & Kent