Author Topic: Andrew Mitchell – Lookup Request - Cumbernauld Kirk Session Minutes  (Read 729 times)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Mitchell – Lookup Request - Cumbernauld Kirk Session Minutes
« on: Tuesday 04 February 20 03:39 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if anyone will be in a position to fulfil this request but I thought I would ask anyway.
I have been trying to find information about my 3 x Great Grandfather Andrew Mitchell.
I have not found; birth, marriage, census or a death record for Andrew.
What I do know about him is:
His wife was Margaret Gordon (1811 – 1874).
They had children…
-   Mary Mitchell (1837 – 1909), married William Fleming in 1856.
-   Janet Mitchell (1838 – 1910), married Robert Nisbet in 1860.
-   Elizabeth Mitchell (1841 – 1891), married John Barr 1863.
-   John Mitchell (1845 -     ) **
The Cumbernauld 1841 census shows Margaret Gordon (25) with children Mary Mitchell (5), Janet Mitchell (3) and Elizabeth Mitchell (2 mths) living in Condorrat. The 1851 census shows Margaret Mitchell (40) with children Mary Mitchell (14), Janet Mitchell (13), Elizabeth Mitchell (8) and John Mitchell (5, on parish relief), all living in Condorrat.
Andrew was either a weaver (as indicated in the marriage and death records for daughters Mary & Elizabeth) or a Flesher (as indicated in the death record of wife, Margaret, and the marriage record of Janet).
A potential clue is that an Andrew Mitchell was a witness at the 1863 marriage of Elizabeth Mitchell in Whitburn, but I have not found a linkage.
I was in Scotland last year (I live in NZ) and visited the Falkirk records office looking for information about my Fleming ancestors. I looked through the Cumbernauld Kirk session minutes and took photos of many Fleming entries. I recently looked back at these photos and luckily found an entry for Margaret Gordon on the same page as a Fleming entry.
That 1845 entry has the report of the recent birth of an illegitimate boy child to Margaret Gordon the widow of Andrew Mitchell, the father being William Pender, farmer in Condorrat.
This would indicate that Andrew Mitchell died before 1845 and probably in 1840 given that his daughter, Elizabeth, was 2 months old in the 1841 census and his wife, Margaret, was recorded with her maiden name in that 1841 census.

I suspect that there is more to learn from the Cumbernauld Kirk records. The good thing is that the Kirk session minutes are easy to search as they have surnames in the margin. These kirk session minutes are held at the Falkirk archives (I am not sure if they have been scanned, but if so, they should be available at other major Scotland record offices).

What I am after is the following…

From CH2/79/3 1822 – 1860 Cumbernauld Kirk Session Minutes.
-   Images of all the appearances of Margaret Gordon/Mitchell and William Pender relating to the birth of their illegitimate child in 1845. I.e. the initial minute entry in 1845 and subsequent meeting minutes featuring Margaret or William.
-   Images of any mention of Andrew Mitchell from 1822 to 1840.
-   Images of any mention of John Mitchell/Pender from 1845 to 1860 (Given that he was on parish relief in 1851 there may be some poor law reference to him).
From CH2/79/14 Cumbernauld communion roll 1835 – 1839
-   Any mention of Andrew Mitchell or Margaret Gordon/Mitchell
From CH2/79/12 Cumbernauld burials register 1817 – 1846
-   Any mention of Andrew Mitchell