Author Topic: Louisa Adney RASHBROOK- COMPLETED  (Read 3163 times)

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Louisa Adney RASHBROOK- COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 21 August 05 09:18 BST (UK) »
I understand that Paddington records would have come under Middlesex in 1835? If this is correct any tips how to check the parish register for Louisa birth?
Any information appreciated
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Adney Rashbrook b 1835 Paddington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Church records for Paddington are now held at the London Metropolitan Archives.

http://www.steeljam.dircon.co.uk/gnloclma.htm

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/JAS/lma/lma.htm

The LDS also hold a number of Paddington films, so if you cannot visit in person, it might be worth hiring them to view at your nearest LDS Family History Centre.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa Adney RASHBROOK b 1835 Paddington
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean

Do you still need this look-up?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
None of us has yet been able to find Louisa so any look up would be fantastic!

The 1901 census lists her birthplace as Paddington, others just London. Also in the 1901 census her name is listed as Louisa Mary Ann (age 66). Other census have her birth 1833- 1835

1861 Age 28 b. Middx London (=b 1833)
1871 Age 37 (=b 1834)
1881 Age 46 (=b 1835)
1901 age 66 (=b 1835)

Her marriage certificate doesn't give a father's name but gives occupation as "confectioner"
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 March 08 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm planning a daytrip to the London Metropolitan Archives either 7th or 14th April.

I'll add you to my look-up list.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 May 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
None of us has yet been able to find Louisa so any look up would be fantastic!

The 1901 census lists her birthplace as Paddington, others just London. Also in the 1901 census her name is listed as Louisa Mary Ann (age 66). Other census have her birth 1833- 1835

1861 Age 28 b. Middx London (=b 1833)
1871 Age 37 (=b 1834)
1881 Age 46 (=b 1835)
1901 age 66 (=b 1835)

Her marriage certificate doesn't give a father's name but gives occupation as "confectioner"

The 1851 census has her born c.1831 in London only.  I think she is also probably the Louisa Rashbrook in Stanway with a Susanna in 1841.  Susanna is the widow of James Rashbrook born 1784 in Stratford St Mary.  He died in 1841.  His Will only mentions daughter Mary Ann so she is more likely to be a relative than a daughter.  However as yet I have never found a connection. 

The profession confectioner is unusual within the Rushbrook/Rashbrook families as I've not come across any yet but research in London has been limited to date since the odd occasions I've been down there I've concentrated on my own family which all starts in London.  I know there are Rushbrooks in the Marylebone parishes but as yet haven't been able to research them further back than the census.

If a baptism is found I'd be interested to know since it may tie into a wider Rashbrook/Rushbrook family that I have information on and am happy to share.  My website detailing what I have collected over the years (but no specific details of individuals) can be found at www.rushbrook.org.uk.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 May 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
St James Paddington registers are indexed on the IGI
Baptisms 1655-1875
and marriages
1656-1875

There is a Rashbrook marriage at St James Paddington in the early 1830s

SUSANNAH RASHBROOK
JOSEPH DIXON 
Marriage:  06 MAY 1832   Saint James, Paddington, London

This census entry may be the same couple

1851 census HO107 2105 folio 28?5
3 Broadgate St Swithin Lincoln
James Dixon Head Married 45 Tailor Fillingham
Susanna Dixon Wife Married 48 Stratford St Mary (given as Suffolk on the 1861, 1871 & 1881 censuses)
Emma Dixon  Daughter 18 Dressmaker St Marylebone London
Joseph Dixon Son 16 Pupil teacher Wesleyan School St Pancras London
Charles Dixon Son 8 St James Westminster

JAMES RASHBROOKE
Christening:  10 OCT 1784   Stratford St. Mary, Suffolk
Father:  SAMUEL RASHBROOKE 
Mother:  MARY 

SUSANNA RASHBROOK
Christening:  FEB 1803   Stratford St. Mary, Suffolk
Father:  JEREMIAH RASHBROOK   
Mother:  SUSAN HOWEL 

The father not being named on Louisa's marriage and her use of the middle name Adney might indicate the possibility that she was illegitimate. If the family were non-conformists as in the case of the Dixons indicated on the 1851 census, then though you would expect to find marriages in Anglican churches pre civil registration as the then law required, you wouldn't expect to find baptisms there also.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 May 08 22:41 BST (UK) »
I would tend to agree with Valda that Louisa may have been illegitimate because of the missing father's name on the marriage entry, although the other possiblity is that he died when she was very young and she may not have know who he was if her mother remarried.

Jeremiah and Susan Rashbrook nee Howell had five children baptised at Stratford St Mary:

Jeremiah - Sept 1801
Susanna - 1803
Mary Anne - 7 Feb 1806
Eliza - 6 Aug 1809
Jeremiah - 18 Nov 1812

They then disappear from the parish.  Probably down to London as so many families did. 

I still wouldn't be surprised that Louisa is the Lousia Rashbrook in Sudbury in 1851 and in Stanway in 1841.  She may well be related to James Rashbrook baptised in Brantham in 1784 as Valda has quoted.  However to date no link has been found.   Its not that far from Sudbury to Ipswich where she married in 1852.

I don't know who Jeremiah Rashbrook who married Susan Howell was the son of, having as yet not found a baptism that ties in with him.  James Rashbrook born Brantham didn't have a brother Jeremiah but its a name that runs through that family from Holton St Mary/Stratford St Mary, as well as a Rosbrook family from the west side of the county.  No connection between either can be made, looks just a coincidence.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 May 08 23:16 BST (UK) »
If Louisa was the illegitmate daughter of for instance Susanna Rashbrook it might be worth checking for wills for the Dixons or for their daughter Emma Maria who probably died unmarried (unmarried at least on the 1891 census).

Deaths Dec 1885 
Dixon  Susanna  82  Lincoln  7a 288

Deaths Sep 1884   
DIXON  Joseph  79  Lincoln  7a 300   
Dixon  Joseph  79  Lincoln  7a 3[60]

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk