Author Topic: Whitehaven look ups please?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitehaven look ups please?
« on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone able to do a look up for two Whitehaven B/Cs and a M/C please?

I haven't quite got to the bottom of why but I have Thomas Brown and Elsie Capener (Thomas firmly from the Barnt Green area of Worcestershire and Elsie living just into Birmingham) marrying in Whitehaven, Cumberland in 4th quarter 1913.  Their first child Louis George was also born there 21 April 1914.  They then moved back to Barnt Green and Leslie was born 1st qtr 1919 followed by Charles H who was born back in Whitehaven in 1921.  Their last child Gertrude was again born in Bromsgrove in 1929.

I'm trying to trace children of any of the three boys, I know that Gertrude never married or had children.  Louis George married Violet Griffiths in 1943 but I don't think they had children, so it leaves me with Leslie and Charles but I can find nothing about their marriages/deaths etc.

I'm thinking that once I can establish their actual dates of birth I should be able to trace info on their deaths (does anyone know I can do this sort of reverse searching?) and see who did the notifications etc.  I just want to do a double check on the M/C to be certain I have the right people but I'm probably 99% sure I do.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Whitehaven look ups please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Members of the public do not have access to birth records.

To lookup a marriage in parish records you have to know which church they married in.  Here are all the areas covered by the Whitehaven RD

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/whitehaven.html

Have you checked the 1939 register?    I can see an entry for Elsie in Birmingham which may help
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a Whitehaven Lookups in the Cumberland section under Counties.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Graye

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I really don't know about the church, I can't actually see what they were doing in Cumberland at all as they neither had any connections there and I can only assume it was work related somehow.  I'll send off for the marriage cert and B/Cs I think.  Thanks for the input.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 February 20 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Look at the 1939 entry as advised in my reply above.  You could save yourself some money on certs
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)