Author Topic: Ashkenazi Judaism and hip-hop music  (Read 395 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Ashkenazi Judaism and hip-hop music
« on: Friday 14 February 20 11:21 GMT (UK) »
This was very interesting. DNA, nature and nurture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000f7zd

Dr Adam Rutherford offers a scientific toolkit to separate fact from myth in understanding how we are different and how we are the same.

In the final episode he tackles the fraught subject of whether there is a genetic factor in how our cognitive abilities vary.

Martin

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashkenazi Judaism and hip-hop music
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 20 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I heard that on radio 4 this morning.
Fascinating!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I am not convinced about Adam's comments on the sense of rhythm.  I love 1940s and 1950s music, (country music and blues), and I totally believe that black people have a much better sense of rhythm, while white people have a better sense of melody. 

Also, I did think he was trying to support his own results when he 'highlighted' the number of prominent Jewish classical musicians by mentioning three.

Martin

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I do take most things with quite a large pinch of salt.

I believe it is accepted that there was a good deal of in-breeding.... those living in small communities could hardly avoid, so I am sure many traits were inherited.

But the nature, nurture debate goes on.  While my own sons hate to admit to being scholarly, they can't help using their innate maths ability without giving it much thought!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I've been listening all week.  It's been fascinating...though they were not too complimentary about A*y DNA testing and their take/interpretation of the results.  I think it's a mistake to take today's programme in isolation without referencing back to what went before.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 February 20 15:37 GMT (UK) »
In bygone days, why travel 10 miles for a date?

I will be trying the rest of the series.

Martin