Author Topic: Jane Smith  (Read 1489 times)

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Smith
« on: Saturday 15 February 20 07:14 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the proverbial 'needle in a haystack'. Jane Smith is listed on the 1851 census District 73 of Kilmorack aged 4, and again on the 1861 census Districk 100 of Kilmorack aged 14 with her grandparents John McKenzie and Jane (wife). At Tomich in 1841 census the family without Jane Smith is listed in District 100 of Kilmorack including my maternal G.G.Grandmother Elizabeth who in 1852 married Sidney Smith at Fort William before emigrating to Australia. Jane smith did not go to Australia. I have been unable to find a birth record of Jane Smith even using Sidney Smith's sibling in the search criteria. Can anyone help me further?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 20 08:14 GMT (UK) »

Is this your family?

Census 1851 at Tomich Inverness
McKENRIE John                 74y  head    cartwright    b. Kilmorack Invernesshire
McKENRIE Jane                 60y  wife                        b. Kiltarlity Invernesshire
McKENRIE Ann                  22y  dau     ag. lab.         b. Kilnorack Invernesshire
SMITH Jane                        4y  gdau                       b. Fortwilliam Invernesshire

Census 1861   Private House  Kilmorack,
McKENZIE John                 85y   head   pauper       b. Urray Rosshire
McKENZIE Jane                 29y   dau                      b. Kilmorack Invernesshire
SMITH Jane                      14y   gdau   scholar        b. Fortwilliam Invernesshire
McDONALD Alexander        24y  lodger  rway lab.    b. Sth Uist Invernesshire

"At Tomich in 1841 census the family without Jane Smith is listed in District 100 of Kilmorack including my maternal G.G.Grandmother Elizabeth who in 1852 married Sidney Smith at Fort William before emigrating to Australia."

Can you describe "the family", 1841.

Scotlands People marriage
SMITH Sidney      marr.    MCKENZIE   Elizabeth  /FR387 (FR387)
23/05/1852   Kilmallie      520/   20 225

Why do you think that Jane SMITH is related to Sidney SMITH?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Jane stated on the 1851/1861 censuses born Fort William. Sadly no distinct records there on SP.

Fort William Burgh
An inhabited place in the parishes of Kilmallie and Kilmonivaig on upper Loch Linnhe

This is likely to be the daughter on those returns
MCKENZIE   ANN   JOHN MCKENZIE/JEAN CHISHOLM   16/06/1829   Kilmorack

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 February 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Sydney Smith is in the 1851 census in Kilmallie, blacksmith, aged 34. The head of the household is his mother Mary Smith, widow, and also in the household is her sister Sarah Kennedy.

So it appears that Sidney was the son of Mary Kennedy or Smith.

He would have been of an age to be the father of Jane Smith, not her sibling. Could Jane be the illegitimate daughter of Sidney Smith and Elizabeth McKenzie? This of course begs the question why her parents didn't take her with them when they emigrated.

Or maybe they left her with her grandparents until they got properly settled, and then sent for her to join them after 1861? Where did Sidney and Elizabeth go in Australia?

I see that Sarah Kennedy, aged 76, died in Kilmallie in 1862. Her death certificate should tell you the names of her, and therefore Mary's, parents. Have you got a copy of it?

Jane Smith is listed on the 1851 census District 73 of Kilmorack, and again on the 1861 census Districk 100 of Kilmorack
100 is the number used by Scotland's People for the parish of Kilmorack, so it's not 'Districk 100 of Kilmorack'.  In 1851, according to both Scotland's People and FreeCen, she was in Kilmorack, parish No 100, enumeration district 2, page 6. In 1861 she was in Kilmorack, parish no 100, enumeration district 1, page 10. Where did 73 come from? That is the number of the parish of Knockbain, formerly Kilmuir-Wester and Suddy, in the county of Ross and Cromarty.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 February 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Census 1851 at Tomich Inverness
McKENRIE John                 74y  head    cartwright    b. Kilmorack Invernesshire

Census 1861   Private House  Kilmorack,
McKENZIE Jane                 29y   dau                      b. Kilmorack Invernesshire
That looks like a couple of questionable transcriptions.
For 1851, FreeCen has the surname as McKenzie not McKenrie, and in 1861 SP has the 29-year-old-daughter as Ann not Jane.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 February 20 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your very quick replies. Back in the early 1990s I had a Scottish researcher do the first run of research for me. This was well before any records were digitised and available online. 
I will answer each point as best I can.
1. wivenhoe: Yes. 1851 census except spelling of surname which maybe miss read.
                    1861 census has Jane McKenzie and Alexander McDonald as unmarried.
                    1841 The family at Tomich was John Mckenzie head, Jean McKenzie wife,
                     Elizabeth McKenzie age 15, Ann McKenzie aged 11.
                     The marriage of Elizabeth McK and Sidney Smith is a record I have.
                     I wondered if Jane Smith was the illigimate dau of Sydney. because of her
                     surname.

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 February 20 05:36 GMT (UK) »
ColC: Thanks. I have the record of Ann's birth through Ancestry.

Offline mitzi2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 February 20 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian: Thank you. Sidney Smith was the son of Mary Smith (nee Kennedy) and Dr. Joh
               Smith. I do not have a confirming record of Sidney's birth.
                His Australian death certificate shows Jane Smith as his eldest child although
                she does not appear to have been in Australia. She is not listed on the
                Australian death certificate of Elizabeth.
                Elizabeth and Sidney arrived in Victoria under the name of Smyth so it has
                taken many years to find their arrival. They lived at Colac a country town in
                Victoria.
                No I do not have the death certificate of Sarah Kennedy. The O.P.R show that
                Alexander Kennedy and Catherine McLachlan had five children, Sarah,
                Catherine, Donald, Christian, and Mary.
                Sorry I used the wrong term relating to districts.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 February 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »

Death certificate for Sidney SMITH...who is the informant?

Is his wife Elizabeth alive at the time of his death?

Birth certificate for a child born, Victoria, to Sidney SMITH and wife Elizabeth McKENZIE should ask for "previous issue". Do you have a death certificate for a child born in Victoria?

Can you please list all the information on the death certificates of Elizabeth SMITH nee McKenzie, and husband Sidney SMITH