Author Topic: Death of Jack Storey, historian/genealogist of County Monaghan  (Read 3181 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Jack Storey, historian/genealogist of County Monaghan
« on: Saturday 15 February 20 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Death of Jack Storey, historian/genealogist of County Monaghan

Edward William John (Jack) Storey, late of Belfast and Monaghan, passed away January 18, 2020. His funeral service took place January 23, 2020, in Ballinode Parish Church, Ballinode, County Monaghan, Ireland, followed by burial in the adjoining churchyard.

Jack was educated in Dublin, and became a National School-Teacher in Monaghan, teaching through the medium of Irish. He played Rugby for Dungannon, and also for Bedford, Scunthorpe, and Hull. He joined the Royal Air Force where he became part of a team responsible for introducing Automatic Data Processing via computers. He set up SEC, a Weighing/Labeling Solutions Company, in 1970. Many years later, after becoming semi-retired, he spent much time on family history, specializing in Northern County Monaghan genealogy. He enjoyed country music, watching Ulster Rugby, and taking holidays in the United States. His favorite movies included The Dam Busters, 633 Squadron, Ben Hur, The Sound of Music, and South Pacific.

Jack Storey shared his vast knowledge of Ulster families, places, events and landmarks freely on-line, and his perceptive comments and research suggestions were appreciated by people all over the world.

These are a few of his comments on message boards over the years:

<< These original Monaghan Presbyterians frequently had their services conducted in the Gallic language because most of the appointed Ministers were Scottish & spoke Gallic which was similar to the Ulster Gaelic spoken in County Monaghan at that time. >>

<< You may be interested to know that the Liptons of Clones came from Shannock Green & after settling in Glasgow they founded the Lipton Tea & Supermarket Empire. >>

<< ...the Donagh Church was also favoured by the Monaghan Militia & the Rebellion of 1798 was part of the Monaghan Militia's responsibility, particularly the Battle of Ballynahinch & the execution of four United Irishmen at their Militia Camp at Blaris, near Lisburn - all Monaghan men, of course. >>

<< Ballinode (Tedavnet Parish) had an attendance at the Church which comprised many World-famous people. From the Woodwrights of Gola (commemorated on the Churchtower Clockface) through the Evatts of Mount Louise (Capt Evatt killed at the Battle of Ballynahinch - 1798), the Liptons (of tea & supermaket fame), the Kanes of Drumreask, the Mitchells of Cappog (1663 Hearth Money Rolls), the Rose family of Mullaghmore North, the Norman Steele (Land Agent of E.P.Shirley) and Dacre Hamilton of Cornecassa controversy, the Dawson & the Evatt links, the importance of Killymarran Glebe and its listed residents, the Forsters of Tullaghan and their burials at both Tedavnet Church & Ballinode, the Fiddes family of Hollywood & Clonamully & their contributions to the Parish right up to the 1950s, the Richardson family of Poplar Vale & their contributions to Tedavnet Family History, the Military Men of Tedavnet Parish and their activities (Briggs, Cassidy, Farrier, McCoy, Haulor, Phillips & Hall), the School-Teachers and their famous pupils (Teachers - Dunne, Irwin, Begley, McConnell, Fleming, Brown, Webb & Wilkinson), the Lucas Family of Raconnell & their links to Castleshane, the Cootes of Cootehill and where they lived in Tedavnet Parish, - all this available from reading the complete Tedavnet Parish Records (Ballinode Church). >>

<< Drumsnat Churchyard, according to the Church Secretary, attracts several thousand "Wilde" enthusiasts every year to see the grave of Oscar Wilde's two half-sisters who are buried there. Also, unknown to many, the Rector at that time was Rev Ralph Wilde, Oscar's uncle. Drumsnat is clearly signposted at Thornhill Cross Roads. Also worth visiting in Monaghan, is the remains of Faulkland Castle, in Donagh Parish, ancient home of the Maxwell family & near to the Silverstream Crossroads. The many famous families who are buried at Tydavnet Parish Church, Ballinode, include the Forsters of Tullaghan, the Rose family of Mullaghmore North, which in the 1920's was owned by the Andersons of "Anderson & McAuley" of Belfast & who have donated to the Monaghan Museum, the Robes worn by their Ancestor at the Coronation of King George V, while High Sheriff of Monaghan County. There are many other famous places in Monaghan worth visiting - including the Special Graveyards of small children. Several of these exist and contain many interesting gravestones. >>

Jack held strong opinions and he was not shy about expressing them, but honesty, directness, and a dedication to history and genealogy were in every word he wrote.

Edward William John "Jack" Storey will be greatly missed.

Offline Malshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Jack Storey, historian/genealogist of County Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 February 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your post.

Mr. Jack Storey, your knowledge was second to none and you helped with solving a problem with my County Monaghan family research. Forever, grateful.

R.I.P. Mr. Jack Storey
Larkin     Jarrow,Stockton on Tees/Co. Monaghan
Doudican Jarrow, Sligo
Donathy,  Jarrow,
Brown,     Renfrew, Port Glasgow/Jarrow,
McMahon, South Dublin, St James, Wallsend
O`Neill      Drumnaquoile,Workington,N/Castle
Connor      Dunturk, Workington,   “. “

Offline JesH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 21 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  We are very sorry to hear of the passing of Jack Storey. 
He had a CD of valuable genealogy information on the Co Monaghan area and I was wondering if someone could direct me to someone who has it.

Please get in touch with me if you have contact information.
Thank you so much!

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 13:42 BST (UK) »
Very sad to see this. Jack's BT email address is still running so perhaps someone should sort that out. Have you had any response to your query.Jack was my last hope to resolve a brick wall!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 14:25 BST (UK) »
Jack Storey's transcribed church records, which he offered at one time on CD, are held by the Clones Branch Library in County Monaghan.

Those records are:

-- Presbyterian Church Records for Ballyalbany, Legnacreeve/Braddox, Scotstown, Corlea & *Derryvally (Marriages only) (On CD Rom)

-- Church of Ireland Records for Tydavnet, Tyholland, Donagh, Errigal Shanco & Trough, Clontibret, Drumsnat & Kilmore. (On CD Rom)

---------------------------------------------

I've researched a number of Presbyterian and Church of Ireland families in the Clones/Newbliss/Stonebridge area, and although I don't have access to Jack's CDs, I'll be glad to look in my research notes for your ancestor's family. In my immediate family group I've researched CALVIN/COLVIN, HADDEN/HADDON, ARMSTRONG, JOHNSTON, ALLEN, BLAKELY/BLEAKLEY, NORRIS, HENRY, KELLS, CONNOR, STEENSON, DELAMER/DELIMER, MOOREHEAD, WILKIN, McCONKEY, FREELAND, McVITTY/McVETTY, MACKAREL and others. You're welcome to ask about any other surnames, and I'll be glad to offer suggestions for getting over "brick walls".

Annie

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the rapid response Annie. I'll paste the email content I sent to Jack below. If you can help me it would  be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Derek

"I have been unable to ascertain exactly where my Irish HENRY roots on my maternal side, originate.

Catriona Lennon ( MONAGHAN COUNTY LIBRARY, CLONES) very generously did find one of 5 children of Hugh Henry and Mary Ann Monford called Jane (1st known child), being baptised in Ballybay, Monaghan 17th May 1824 but all the usual available resources (e.g. land records etc)  have not revealed new proven links to Ballybay.  There are obviously "relatives" there but, for example, no marriage record seems to be available for Hugh and Mary. I've even tried the Ballybay Facebook site, to no avail!

By the mid 1820's the family were in Donegore, Antrim and the local church sold me a DVD of the available records. I found James (1826) Mary Ann (1830) but the origins of Sarah Ann and her brother Thomas Henry both supposedly born (Census for Thomas and an 1879 Walsall marr for Sarah) in Ireland c1837, remain unproven.  I suspect Thomas may have been born c 1832 but that's only because, when he died in 1892 in Wolverhampton Staffordshire where he ended up, he was recorded as 60 years of age. Lookups have not yet found his baptism. Whether the family moved from Donegore to elsewhere in Antrim is unclear but the whole family apart from possibly James were in the Midlands by 1851.

Rootsireland  are yet another subscription to consider but when I did find someone to check before I committed they told me they could find nothing.

All other researchers investigating the family have the same dead end and so far DNA has only resulted in finding the obvious links and trees all stop at Hugh and Mary. Since I began this the various sites, including Familysearch.org,  have included more data  but none have solved  the mystery.

If you have any new strategies to suggest which point me in  another direction, I would really appreciate it.

Apologies for going on a bit. I do appreciate you at least reading through this.

Kind regards,

Derek Thom

Wolverhampton UK"

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hugh Henry of County Monaghan
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 March 23 04:07 BST (UK) »
We need to title this thread with the right subject -- I'm changing it at this point, at least.

We corresponded several years ago by regular email, and I'm glad that you're still working on this complicated family. You may NEVER find every Henry child's birth/baptism record. I've been working on the Haddens and Calvins of Co. Tyrone and Co. Monaghan (and dozens of allied families) since the 1970s, have made research trips to Ireland four times -- and still have many gaps in the family tree. We're fortunate that quite a few church registers have survived for us to find at all.

How did you discover that Hugh Henry's wife was Mary Ann Monford? I didn't think her full name was on the Ballybay Church of Ireland 1824 baptism record of daughter Jane, just "Hugh and Ann Henry" for the parents. Please tell us what source gave you her full name.

Also, did the baptism record not list the parents' residence and father's occupation? Those facts are often included in Protestant church registers. Surely Catriona wouldn't have left out those important facts when she sent you the record? And, did she send a typed transcript, or an image of the church register page? She's been a great help to me in my own research.

I think the Henrys of adjacent parishes and townlands were probably related, as is often the case with Irish families, both Protestant and Catholic.

Connection-wise, Hugh Henry and Mary Ann Monford probably lived fairly close to each other (not necessarily, but "probably"), so I'd check for any Monford/Montford/Munford, etc., in the tithes as well as in Ballybay Church of Ireland records and other Co. Monaghan sources.

On that line, I don't see ANY surname like Monford in the Tithe Applotments of County Monaghan. Nor do I see it in several other Co. Monaghan searches. However, that surname DOES appear in County Antrim, where your ancestors Hugh Henry and Mary Ann Monford lived after Co. Monaghan.

For instance, you'll find several Monford/Munford references in PRONI's eCatalogue on-line, including these 2 records:

Repository : Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
PRONI Reference : D509/597
Title : Lease of 29 acres 10 per. I.P.M. for three lives ...
Dates : 4 June 1779
Description : Lease of 29 acres 10 per. I.P.M. for three lives or 41 years - Rent: £8. 15s. p.a. plus fees of Rt Hon. Arthur Earl of Donegall to Robert Munford, Ballywee, Co. Antrim relating to Ballywee, Co. Antrim.

Repository : Public Record Office for Northern Ireland
PRONI Reference : D509/2401
Title : Lease of 19 acres 1r. I.P.M. for three lives ...
Dates : 26 October 1827
Description : Lease of 19 acres 1r. I.P.M. for three lives renewable forever (See D509/1548) - Consideration: £92 - Rent: £8.8s. p.a. plus fees of Arthur Macdonnell, Lincoln's Inn 1st part; Barbara Staples, Glenville, Co. Antrim 2nd part to Thomas Munford, Snr and William McMechan, Ballywee, Co. Antrim (Trustees for James, William, Andrew and Alexander Lowther) relating to Donegore, Co. Antrim.

Isn't Donegore one of the place names associated with Hugh and Ann Henry? In these 2 records, you see a connection of the Munfords of Ballywee with Donegore.

In the Tithes, there are no Monford/Munford families in Donegore parish, but there are Minford -- another spelling to keep in mind. There are Minfords in Co. Antrim in PRONI's eCatalogue, as well.

Tithe Applotments in Donegore parish, Co. Antrim (all in 1833):

Minford, Robt. Townland: Ballywee
Minford, Robt. Townland: Drumagorgan
Minford, Sarah Townland: Ballywee
Minford, Willm. Townland: Ballywee
Minford, Willm. Townland: Tobergill

You wrote in an Ireland XO post in 2015 about a possible connection with a soldier named "Hugh Henry born in 1778  in Aghanamullen Parish" and also said that "Hugh Henry's attestation was in 1805 and he was discharged in 1818 and then he was in the 99th Foot Regiment Cavan Militia, Yeomanry."

This man is LIKELY to have married while in service or when he got out of service, but his birth date doesn't fit your Hugh Henry (whom you've said was born about 1805). This militia man born abt 1778 might have been your Hugh Henry's FATHER, though. The fact that there's a Hugh Henry in the Tithes in Aghnamullen parish in Co. Monaghan would be a lead to check. If not the retired solider himself, I'd say that's a relative.

The other possibilities for your Hugh Henry's relatives are of course the Henrys in the Tithe Applotments in Ballybay parish and the other adjacent parishes.

I'd definitely check on Monford/Munford/Minford in County Antrim, particularly in church records where you found your Henry children's baptisms.

Send me a private message and I'll refresh you on the dates of our earlier correspondence.

Regards,
Annie

Offline WAY1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Henry
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 April 23 21:22 BST (UK) »
Apologies for not replying earlier.
Some time in the late 1990s I found the name Mary Ann Monford or Munford on familysearch CDs and a reference to the Grange of Nilteen. It is no longer on the web site when I search. In the email sent to me by Catriona I was not given the residence or father's occupation data only the baptismal date and certainly no image .... but it was a long time ago and those records which became accepted refs are on an old PC somewhere in the loft.
I did wonder about the relevance of the soldier Hugh but had another brick wall to tackle and it got left behind.
I'll follow up the suggestions Annie -thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response. How do I do a private message by the way?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 April 23 07:51 BST (UK) »

How do I do a private message by the way?

When logged in, just click on My Messages (in the dark brown bar at the top) and then click ‘Send a Message’. Type in the name of the recipient, then click on the light blue link just below.

Or

Click on the clipboard looking icon beside the 'view profile' icon of the recipient. Their username will show. If it glows green they are online.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo